• The Tan Band Wins Battle of the Bands

• Sofia Votava Wins President's Volunteer Service Award

• Skyla Setzler Wins 2nd in District Poster Competition

• Battle of the Bands Winner to Play Concert at Lunch Friday

• 2019 Stallion of the Year Nominees Announced

• Lila Holley and Sierra Young In Top 15 of OC Register Varsity Artists

Thousand Oaks Community Ravaged by Shooting

Connor Rose, Inside A&E Editor

Thousand Oaks, California is one of the most recent cities to be devastated by another horrific mass shooting, leaving 12 dead.

On November 7, 2018, the Borderline Bar and Grill was ravaged by a shooter, acting alone, with the intent of ending his and many other lives that night. The town once described as one of the United States’ safest cities, is now mourning the loss of beloved members of the community, including Ventura County Sergeant Ron Helus, who was shot at the scene.

The shooter, identified as former marine Ian David Long, came into the bar shortly after 11 p.m. and began shooting with a Glock .45-caliber handgun. The victims included the security guard, college students, patrons of the bar, and friends celebrating a birthday.

When officers and reinforcements arrived at the scene, Long had shot himself near the bar entrance.

David Ian Long was a veteran, serving in Afghanistan with the Marines and returning home with lasting consequences to his mental state. He had a history of psychiatric problems, primarily post-traumatic stress disorder, meeting with a mental health specialist and crisis team after an incident in April of this year. Although he wasn’t acting like himself, as described by local Sheriff Geoff Dean, the crisis team decided against detaining the ill patient.

Many of the issues he was facing were unknown to the group and did not warrant attention or help; that is, until the tragic incident occurred”

Authorities believe they have identified a post made on Facebook by the shooter just before the Thousand Oaks shooting:

“I hope people call me insane… [laughing emojis].. wouldn’t that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah.. I’m insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is ‘hopes and prayers’.. or ‘keep you in my thoughts’… every time… and wonder why these keep happening…”

Friends of Long say that the post is unrecognizable and that it doesn’t sound like the Ian David Long they knew and befriended.

Many of the issues he was facing were unknown to the group and did not warrant attention or help; that is, until the tragic incident occurred.

The .45- caliber handgun used was legally purchased by the shooter.

Connor Rose, Staff Writer

Connor Rose is a senior at San Juan Hills and this is his first year in newspaper.  He’s beyond excited to be a part of the Express team and is so grateful...