• The Express and Mane Event Coming Soon

• College Visits Continue During Tutorial

• 40% of Students Polled Had No Opinion on Kavanaugh

• 5-3 Stallions Take a By Week, 2 League Game Remain

• Halloween Festival Oct. 12 from 6-10 at SJHHS

Every 15 Minutes: 2018

Siena Chacon (9), Sydney Segrell (9), Mathias Kristenson (11), and Kaleigh Santmyer (12) watch as their peers are involved in a devastating mock car crash revealing the harsh realities of drunk driving. Siena Chacon witnesses her sister, Sophia Chacon (12), be taken from the crash site in an ambulance to later die in the hospital.

Kate Finman, News Editor

In order to raise awareness of the devastating consequences of drinking and driving, SJHHS brought back the Every 15 Minutes program to campus last week.

Every 15 Minutes is a two-day state-funded staging of a realistic and graphic mock car crash, emergency medical treatment, as well as a police booking scene.

The event gets its name from the assumption that approximately every fifteen minutes someone is either injured or killed in an alcohol-related car accident. Many of these victims are teenagers who, by stepping behind the wheel under the influence, shatter their own lives and leave loved ones to pick up the pieces.

On Tuesday, juniors and seniors gathered around a realistic two-car collision involving their peers either killed on impact, gruesomely injured, or hysterically trying to cope with the loss of loved ones. One of the cars was flipped over, and Darius Jackson and Trent Wood died immediately on the scene.

The storyline continued through a video presentation, following the survivors of the accident to their tragic ending in the emergency room or prison. The video was made by the students of ASB, who stayed up all night to finish the project in time.

In addition to those directly involved in the mock DUI scene, a diverse cast of twenty eight upperclassmen “died” during the school day, along with Cambria Beilstein, the drama teacher. A 7-foot tall man dressed as the Grim Reaper claimed selected students every fifteen minutes, as the sound of a failing heart monitor played over the P.A. system. An obituary written by the parents of the victim was read to the class by the police officer. Those who “died” were not seen or heard from until after the ceremony the following day, so friends and family actually could feel the impact of their death.

The event closed with an emotionally charged assembly on the second day where guest speaker, Bobby Petrocelli whose wife died after an intoxicated driver crashed into their house, shared her story with the audience of juniors and seniors. The “deceased”were then reunited with family members to read their last words.

50 juniors and seniors were nominated by teachers to participate in this event and were narrowed down to the final count of 28. This selective process seeks to find a range of personalities and social circles so that everyone in the audience can identify with at least one of the crash victims.

All of this was designed to convince teenagers that drinking and driving is never worth endangering your own life or that of your friends: there is always a deadly cost.

The next Every 15 Minutes program at SJHHS is planned for 2020.

About the Contributors
Kate Finman, News Editor

Kate Finman is a senior here at SJHHS and is so excited to be writing for her first year at The Express as the News Editor! In the past, she was an intern at the Ladera Times, and she is ready to continue her journalism career at the school. Kate plays on the varsity tennis team; she is part of the Instrumental Music Program, and she is a member of Model United Nations. She takes way too many APs and is also president of the National Honor Society, Happy Club, and Interact Club. Keep an eye out for her work! She promises to keep SJHHS up-to-date with all the most important news on campus.

Katie Brubaker, Managing Editor

Katie Brubaker is a senior at SJHHS and this is her third year on The Express newspaper staff. In the previous years, Katie held the positions of Arts and Entertainment editor and Feature Editor. Aside from writing, Katie enjoys ballet, art, and dogs. Katie is beyond excited to continue writing alongside her peers and be apart of such a unique and influential part of the school.

Tatum Federman, Captions & Social Media Editor

Tatum Federman is a senior at San Juan Hills. This is her first year on The Express staff, and she is the Captions and Social Media Editor. She is the captain of the varsity cheer team and loves to be involved and support her school. Tatum likes to spend time with her friends and family, go to the beach, and snowboard. Her favorite foods are french fries, smoothies, chocolate, bagels, and sandwiches.

Brendan Gibson, Staff Writer

Brendan is a senior and in his second year on The Express newspaper staff. He has played on the school’s basketball team since freshman year. In addition to sports and journalism, he loves travel, Scrabble, and his dog. After high school, Brendan wants to study engineering.

Lucy Law, Co Editor-in-Chief

Lucy is a senior at SJHHS and is excited to be returning for her third year for The Express as Co Editor-in-Chief. When she’s not writing, you can find her at the beach or hanging out with her friends. After graduation, she is looking forward to traveling to different countries and experiencing new cultures. She plans on becoming an elementary school teacher and hopes to have a positive effect on the future generations. Lucy enjoys coming up with unique stories on topics that keep people informed and entertained.