Teachers Get Schooled on Vaping

Libby Gorton, Staff Writer

Since invented in 2003, vaping trends have grown exponentially. Teachers and administration at SJHHS have taken measures to become more aware of the problem.

The vape pen is an electronic device where chemicals are added to water vapor and smoked in a cigarette-like simulation.

This vaping trend has become popular for many reasons. Vaping is reported to cause less lung damage than traditional cigarettes and can be less obvious when it is done, so as not to attract attention in public.

“With all the new ways to vape that are out there and the ways students can get access to them, the vape has made its way onto high school campuses, not just San Juan Hills,” said Assistant Principal Michael Kim.

Despite its supposed health “benefits” over smoking, vaping can still damage the lungs and cause harm to brain development for youth.

Kim held a meeting in January to educate teachers on different vaping habits.

The meeting did not show teachers how to catch and reprimand students vaping but rather  “educate[d] teachers who were unaware of what these devices are, what they look like and how they are used” said Kim.

Jamie Gonzalez, Honors World History Teacher said that the meeting helped her,  “see all the different shapes and sizes of vapes or e-cigs students can use”.

With all the new ways to vape that are out there and the ways students can get access to them, the vape has made its way onto high school campuses, not just San Juan Hills

— Micheal Kim

Sharon Spiers, who teaches health and AP Lang learned more about her students from the meeting.  

“I think it did help me and I would like to learn more. There is also going to be a guest speaker coming to all the health classes in the next three weeks to teach students and teachers about vaping and its impact,” said Spiers.

Because there is a growing epidemic of students vaping and the long-term effects are still widely unknown due to inadequate time for scientific research, more information on vaping is extremely important to keep our students safe.