• Election Fair - 02/20 at lunch

• Stallion Showcase 02/10

• Boys Tennis Matches - 02/21 + 02/22

• Multicultural Fair - 02/23 at lunch

No Funny Business Here: Public Speaker Inspires Students

Guest speaker at SJHHS, Tyler Durman talks to students about the consequences that come with making harmful decisions and how it can detrimental to your health. He includes comedic remarks along with nostalgic anecdotes that capture the audience.

Tatum Federman

Tatum Federman

Juan Galindo, Staff Writer

Guest speaker Tyler Durman spoke at SJHHS on Wednesday January 24. Students from select classes sat in the gym during tutorial and the first part of third period.

All teachers had the opportunity to sign up their third periods, but many could not give up the class time.

Durman was invited to SJHHS upon the request of ASB President Brianna Rodriguez. The decision was approved by the class of ASB.

“He spoke at ASB camp a couple of times, and we thought it be cool if we brought him here,” said Rodriguez.

I expected one of those normal motivational speakers that tell you that you can do anything but I guess he surprised me with what he said”

— Lana Majeed

Durman mainly spoke on the topic of choosing carefully one’s actions, but his speech was peppered with small jokes and anecdotes. He told the life story of Joe, a student he met early on in his career who had a fantastic life: popularity the girlfriend, the perfect smile. He lost everything by making the wrong choices.

Joe (no last name was given) supposedly called Durman in his time of need and eventually pulled his life together. His story was meant to inspire the crowd of students.

Joe wasn’t the only one with troubles. Although he didn’t discuss this directly with the students at SJHHS, Durman was homeless for a few years. It taught him many valuable lessons; and, eventually, he was able to turn his life around, according to his website.  

ASB Director Brooke Valderrama said “[because] he works so well with high school students and he knows what to say and how to respond” are one of the main reasons as to why Durman was invited to speak.

Durman then taught English, and his pedantic qualities have stayed with him through the career change. Throughout his entire speech at SJHHS, he called out individual students for not paying attention or commenting to their friends in the 900 person crowd.

Freshman Lana Majeed said “I expected one of those normal motivational speakers that tell you that you can do anything but I guess he surprised me with what he said.” regarding her thought on Durman.

Today, he makes his living through public speaking and through his two books to support his five children and wife.