Filed under News

Manely It’s on Thursdays and Fridays Starting in January

In second semester, the Mane Event could move to a new time slot, airing on Thursday and Friday instead of Wednesday and Friday.

The change comes at the suggestion of a committee of teachers called to analyze best practices in tutorial. The committee surveyed teachers on a variety of issues dealing with tutorial. The survey showed that about 85% of teachers play the show “all the time” or “most of the time.”

They suggested a Thursday show would allow teachers more time with their odd numbered tutorials (Wednesday & Friday tutorials are always 1,3,5) for academic interventions, review, and other purposes teachers think are appropriate for the time.

For years, The Mane Event has been broadcasting school news on campus with new episodes airing at least once a week.

Now that members of this year’s TV Broadcast Journalism class, which produces The Mane Event, have finished their training period, the episodes have begun to air regularly once again.

Originally, the shows had to be burned onto DVDs and delivered to ASB, where they were sent out over the school’s cable network. But with the emergence of Google Drive, the episodes can be viewed anytime during a tutorial period.

With the increase in accessibility, The Mane Event should be reaching an even wider audience, but with about 15% of teachers saying they don’t play it, methods for increasing viewership became important.

However, this doesn’t concern Brian Devaney, the teacher of the TV Broadcast Journalism class. “I think that once teachers can count on The Mane Event being there all the time, [tutorial activities] will adjust,” he said.

Many teachers in the survey remarked that The Mane Event contributed to the school’s growth, and is an important part of the school’s culture and for keeping the students up to date with school activities and programs.

The start of the 20172018 school year brought new expectations for the procedures of tutorial. The changes were designed to improve its overall function and efficiency, and many Stallions find their teachers prepared with activities for them to do during tutorial periods, instead of the relaxed atmosphere of previous years.

The airing of The Mane Event has conflicted with some teacher’s plans for educational activities during the tutorial period. The Mane Event will always try to be at a total time of 10 minutes or under to allow for teachers to still plan for 25 minutes of tutorial time if needed, according to the committee’s recommendations.

Some teachers, like P.E. teachers, don’t have access to the technology with which to show it and some classrooms have been impacted by A/V difficulties this year.

Wil Kennedy, Art & Graphics Editor
Wil Kennedy is returning as a senior for his second year in The Express as the new Art and Graphics Editor. Last year on The Express staff, he created a large amount of the art and graphics that were found on both the website of The Express and its many print editions, in addition to designing...