BRAAAP For the Brand

Kate Finman

Although this is not a real motorcycle, more students can ride to school because it will decrease traffic. Administration can issue passes to park in the motorcycle designated areas in the front lot.

Dalton Flores, Clubs Editor

BRAAAP For The Brand.

SJHHS has designated parking spots for motorcycles; the only thing that is missing are some Stallions who want to ride motorcycles to school.

If a student goes to the DMV, passes his motorcycle permit test, and buys a motorcycle to commute to school, what then?

“We’d work out a sticker to put on the bike to be able to park there…so you’d still apply for a parking pass.” said Assistant Principal, Darrin Jindra.

The question remains where a motorcycle would park. A motorcycle could easily park in a regular spot, but it would be more convenient for them to use the designated motorcycle parking at the front of the lot.

According to Jindra, “A student has the right to have their space, whether they put a motorcycle in there or a car.”

Anyone who has a car and parks in the student lot now can still get a motorcycle and not have to worry about parking: they just have to check in with administration first.

If SJHHS had more motorcycle riders, there would be less traffic. Motorcycles just take up less space, and more experienced riders would be able to safely lane split the line. Therefore this could make the line shorter because they would not be in a car waiting with the rest of the drivers.

A student has the right to have their space, whether they put a motorcycle in there or a car.

— Darrin Jindra

Lane splitting is only legal in California, and should not be attempted by any inexperienced riders. If you were experienced enough to utilize it, lane splitting would get you out of school earlier with less of a wait.

“I would not encourage it,” said Jindra,  “I would see that as unsafe here.” Jindra stated that, “we have a lot of new drivers here,” so lane splitting is not safe on Stallion Ridge.

“In the interest of the overcrowding it’s an efficient way to get things done because there’s room for motorcycle parking,” said Jindra.

To be able to ride to school, students who did not go to the safety seminars the school hosted would have to go to the safety courses offered by the California Highway Patrol or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Jindra said “We would accept certificates from completing that,” to be able to park at school.

While riding a motorcycle to school could save everyone some time, it’s important to address the inherent dangers of riding.

Jindra still has some concerns. “As a parent, motorcycles are dangerous and especially with a young driver it’s even more dangerous.”

“You’re in a lot of traffic when you’re coming around the school, and to be on a motorcycle you’re not going to be seen unless you have some good solid foundational experience with riding,” said Jindra.

“Administratively, there’s more room for parking if kids do that, but I would never, just from my personal perspective, I don’t know that I would encourage motorcycle riding,” stated Jindra.

Motorcycle riding and the risks that come with it is not for everyone. Jindra said, “I would want to engage in some conversations about it.”