Enforcing A New Hat Policy

Jackson Hirchag and Brendan Gibson, Staff Writers

School administration has changed the dress code this year to allow a limited number of hats to be worn on campus.

After consultation with the district, school officials have decided to allow students to wear either Stallion hats that can be purchased in the student store or plain navy blue or gold hats. Hoods and beanies will still not be allowed.

The change was made in order to protect the students from the sun in the increasingly hot weather, and Assistant Principal Darrin Jindra stressed that the policy focuses on safety.

“There are so many inappropriate things or coded messages that can mean something else or fall into gang relations, so we said we are going to keep it plain,” Jindra said.

The policy is similar to the dress code for PE; students may either purchase a P.E. uniform or wear a plain gray shirt with plain navy shorts.

Last year, students and campus supervisors were confused as to what types of headwear were allowed, despite the official school policy banning all hats, hoods, and beanies.

Supervisor Kim Jansen voiced support for the new policy because she believes it is both explicit and just.

“There are so many inappropriate things or coded messages that can mean something else or fall into gang relations, so we said we are going to keep it plain

— Jindra

“I think it’s fair that we’ve given students options to buy a stallion wear hat or to go to a thrift store,” Jansen said, “we’ve given them an economic way to purchase one and stay out of the sun.”

Jansen said the first time she sees a student wearing an inappropriate hat she will issue a warning. For a second offense, the hat will be confiscated for the remainder of the day. If a student is a habitual offender, school administration and parents will get involved.

If a student needs additional sun protection for health reasons, special arrangements can be made, according to Jansen.

Many students were not in favor of the policy, however. Sophomore Ramiz Suleiman is a strong disbeliever in the new hat policy. He thinks that students should be free to wear school appropriate hats whenever they want.

“If you are having a bad hair day, you can always throw on a hat for an easy alternative,” said Suleiman.

According to Suleiman, a supervisor once interrupted his history class to tell a student to take off a plain hat that did not adhere to the color guidelines. Suleiman echoes the sentiments of many students who feel the new policy is too restrictive.

“If you are having a bad hair day, you can always throw on a hat for an easy alternative

— Ramiz Suleoman

Despite the differing perspectives, administration believes the hat policy will protect students from the sun and eliminate any confusion.