ASB Purchases Doughnuts In Response To Free Food Threat

Olivia Fu, Co Editor-in-Chief

While everyone is familiar with the age old warning not to take candy from strangers, on Wednesday the 20 of September, the students at SJHHS found this easier said than done in the face of actual free sugary treats.

We didn’t know where [the doughnuts] came from or who they came from and just for safety reasons had to take them away from all the kids, and that’s not fair either. So we decided let’s give them some safe, sane, legal doughnuts

— Valderrama

During lunch, on what is now being dubbed “doughnut-gate,” Delmar Arnaud, a recent high school graduate, sent $500 worth of Krispy Kreme doughnuts and around 15 large pizzas to SJHHS and Tesoro via Uber Eats. He contacted his friends through Snapchat, and asked if they could pick up the food from the Uber drivers and distribute them to the student body at their respective schools.

When administration found out about the doughnuts, they immediately began confiscating them over safety concerns. Since the origin of the doughnuts was unconfirmed at the time, they feared the doughnuts and pizza might have been tampered with, or laced with drugs. They were able to intercept the pizza delivery before it reached the students, and stored all the food in the office until the end of the day when the custodian had to throw all of it away.

Mrs. Smalley and Mrs. Valderrama felt bad for having to take the doughnuts away from the students, and wanted to do something to make up for the loss. Together, they had the idea to give out free doughnuts that were safely acquired to the students during break outside of the ASB office.

“We didn’t know where [the doughnuts] came from or who they came from and just for safety reasons had to take them away from all the kids, and that’s not fair either. So we decided let’s give them some safe, sane, legal doughnuts,” said Valderrama.

ASB ended up purchasing 50 boxes of chocolate and glazed Krispy Kreme doughnuts and handed all of them out in a matter of minutes during break on Friday. In the future, ASB hopes to make “Doughnut Day” an official yearly tradition.