Derby Day and Stallion Ridge Round- Up is a hit

Derby+Day+and+Stallion+Ridge+Round-Up+ocurred+Saturday%2C+November+5+from+4-9pm.+

Derby Day and Stallion Ridge Round-Up ocurred Saturday, November 5 from 4-9pm.

McKenzie M, Staff Writer

The SJHHS 10th Anniversary celebration continues with the second annual Derby Day and Stallion Ridge Round-Up. Families and friends can come to this event  filled with rides, games, food, and fun.  With high standards to live up to, there was a plethora of positive feedback received from the guests.

PTSA president, Debbie Bursey credits the event to “the combined effort of all of our extracurricular activity departments to make this a great evening for everyone.”  Planning for this event began one year ago, and numerous hours were spent planning for this event.

Compared to last year’s Derby Day, Bursey thought that adding the element of the carnival would be the icing on the cake for the SJHHS’ ten year anniversary.  This year “it was grander in size and different [than last year] with all of the big rides and extra attractions,” Bursey said.

Athletic Booster president Lisa Green commented as well. “The SJHHS Athletic Booster Club originally hosted the event in 2015 to highlight coaches and build esprit de corp through field type competitions where student athletes can support their respective coaches,” Green said.

The event took place on November 5, 2016 from 4-9 pm with the coach competitions 4:30- 5:30.  Prizes for the raffle included $1,000 cash, iPad Pro, and a Stallions Booster Sapphire Membership for the 2017-2018 year.  

“It is not necessarily a fundraiser to raise money; there was the opportunity to raise money at the event, but it is more about getting people together and building community relationships with fun festivities,” said Gonzalez. “However most of funds raised will go towards paying for our sports medicine staff and supplies. The rest will go towards facility needs around campus.”

A “Coaches Care Campaign” has been launched in hopes of supporting our amazing sports departments whose funds are not taken care of by the district.  Each of the booths at the event was able to raise money in their efforts to expand school spirit.  

Overall, the school made $11,000 which unfortunately didn’t cover the cost of the putting on the grand event.  ASB director, Brooke Valderrama, said, “ASB wanted to celebrate our 10 year anniversary right and if we were going to do a carnival we wanted to go big. We had budgeted for this event and hoped to recoup a little bit which is what happened.”

The outcome of this event brought many smiles and the producers of the event were happy to see families and friends enjoying themselves.  “Every person asked if we could do it every year,” said Bursey, “Overall, I couldn’t have been more pleased with how it all turned out.”