Forensic Science Prepares Students for Careers in Law Enforcement

Brendan Gibson, Staff Writer

Students in the new forensic science class designed their own crime scenes, and then worked together to solve the scenes created by students in a different class period.

Since the beginning of the year, students in the class have been solving crime scenes, but all the previous crime scenes were designed by the teacher, Debra Miyamoto, and then solved by the students. Miyamoto decided to change the format for this project simply because it was “fun”.

Additionally, Miyamoto hoped that students would build cooperation and communication skills by working together in both designing the crime scene and solving it.

“[The forensic science class] encourages class collaboration,” said Miyamoto.

ROP Laboratory Forensics is one of ten classes newly introduced to SJHHS and is only offered at two other schools in CUSD: Dana Hills and Aliso Niguel.

Students hoping for a career in law enforcement enjoy the class due to its ability to prepare students for a career and its interactive labs.

“I want to be a police officer myself and wanted the hands on experience,” said senior Leia O’Brien.

Many students enjoy the class because it gives a different experience than a traditional class and challenges students with problem solving tasks.

Junior Sean Cahill said, “I chose this class because I’m interested in solving mysteries.”

Forensics is currently offered during third and fifth periods. It is available to all juniors and seniors, but it is recommended that the students have previously taken chemistry.