New Road from San Clemente Grows Nearer

Abbey Bostic, Staff Writer

The construction on La Pata is progressing on schedule, and is anticipated to open by Fall of 2016. A meeting was held in the council chambers of city hall in San Clemente on Tuesday the 29th of September to receive public input on the production of La Pata.

The city will be developing design alternatives for intersection improvements on Camino Del Rio at Camino De Los Mares and Calle Sarmentoso. The La Pata opening will improve traffic for commuters by providing a direct connection between San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente.

San Clemente resident and San Juan Hills student,  Isaiah Yoways (10) says, “I leave at 5:30 in the morning for zero period, and it takes me fifteen minutes, or more with traffic, to get to school with La Pata being closed.”

La Pata Avenue will expand through parts of San Clemente, and will be adjacent to San Juan Capistrano. It will enter San Clemente’s Northern city limits the roadway will curve West, away from Talega, as it crosses the power-line corridor. After La Pata crosses the power-line corridor, it will turn South to connect with the existing La Pata Avenue into San Clemente.

SJHHS Chemistry teacher, Brenda Oldroyd said, “I leave for school at seven o’clock, there is traffic because I drop my daughter off at the train station, which means it’s adding another fifteen minutes to my drive. When I get to La Pata it is sluggish and slow.”

The Project will close the Hole from the  two way segments, providing an Important link in the local roadway network. Also, for those who live in San Clemente, it will be easier to get to San Juan Hills High School. The La Pata Project will reduce local traffic while also minimizing local environmental impact