Ressler’s Replacement Announced

Andrew Fehlman

THE LAST YEAR OF HAPPINESS: Mr. Ressler, the beloved principal is retiring this year after serving seven years for the school. When he retires, he is determined to travel around the world and experience the different cultures. His computer screen, (right), shows a picture of Africa of where he recently visited. Photo by Andrew Fehlman

Valerie Ziesmer, Staff Writer

Jennifer Smalley has been appointed to serve as the next Principal of San Juan Hills High School, replacing Tom Ressler, who has served for seven years.

The announcement was made last week at the regular board meeting but Ressler announced his retirement to staff at a meeting on Jan. 30.

“What?! He’s leaving?! I’m so surprised. He’s like the coolest principal out there. [I will miss] how he interacts and has fun with all the students at this school,” said Evelyn Bohl (10) after learning of Ressler’s retirement.

“[I feel] it’s a good time in my life to retire. Both my wife and I are retiring,” said Ressler.

Smalley brings 22 years of experience in CUSD as a secondary English teacher, journalism adviser, district TOSA for secondary teachers, an assistant principal and most recently, has served as the principal at Aliso Viejo Middle School.

Before the announcement, Darrin Jindra said some staff held some “anxiety of how are things going to change here at SJHHS. They have a concern for the fear of the unknown.”

According to Ressler, Smalley possesses a passion and dedication to student success and is well-known for her expertise in curriculum and instruction. She is credited with developing a thriving instructional program with her AVMS staff, establishing a culture of collaboration, participation, and high-level performance by staff and students alike.

“I love being a principal – it is a really creative and inspiring job and as the principal I get to work with every aspect of a school – students, staff, parents, and community members.  I wanted to become a high school principal for many reasons; one of the top reasons is the passion high school students have for all aspects of school – academics, sports, the arts, and their community involvement,” Smalley told The Express.

Ressler is excited for this new chapter in his life. He plans on traveling and wants to live overseas for a while.

Smalley is also fond of travel.

“I really enjoy traveling and recently have visited Paris, Germany, and the Netherlands. I also visit family on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada 1-2 times a year. As a former English teacher, I of course love to read. I also spend time gardening in my rose garden, but I surely do not have a green thumb!” she said.

All the candidates for the position went through rigorous interviews to determine which individual is the best fit for the school. Under Smalley’s leadership, Aliso Viejo Middle School experienced significant improvement in student achievement, expanded course offerings, deepened students’ connection to their school and developed and implemented a strategic intervention program for academically at-risk students.

“I like to really get to know students and the challenge is that there will be a lot more students than at the middle school so it may take me longer,” Smalley said of the challenge new principals face.

“Ressler is a great principal. I’m really sad about him retiring. I really liked how he was always friendly with everyone and was super funny,” said Alex Mastropaolo (10).

He is often seen walking around conversing with students at lunch, or waiting with students after sporting events to make sure they are not the last ones to leave. His dedication and care for the school is easily noticed, and SJHHS is sad to see Ressler leave but will welcome the new principal with open arms.