Monster Storm Douses Campus

Coursesty of National Weather Service

A Pacific storm drenched most of the state on Friday, giving much needed water to the parched southland.

Shane Battis, Business Manager

A wet winter storm pushed its way ashore on Friday, making the trip to school slower than usual and driving students indoors to escape rain and wind.

On Friday morning, light sprinkles quickly escalated into heavy rain, flooding the campus and forcing campus supervisors to step into action. After a few hours of continuous rain, the cement divot in the upper quad filled with water, resurrecting the much-admired and picturesque “Lake San Juan.”

Principal Tom Ressler and Assistant Darrin Jindra kept wandering students at bay while custodian Bruce Shode worked to unclog the drain at the center of the lake.

Students may recall a similar episode in mid-December of last year when the temporary lake attracted a crowd of easily amused students. One bold young man actually waded through the ice cold treacherous waters to the dismay of proctors and delight of onlookers; no such follies occurred this time around as supervisors blocked prospective swimmers.

According to AccuWeather, intensive rain is predicted to continue throughout the weekend.