• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Stanley and Stella Rein in School Spirit

High-fiving+future+stallions+during+the+halftime+show%2C+Stanley+hypes+up+the+White-Out+varsity+football+game+on+September+8.+Stanley+and+Stella+play+a+big+part+in+exciting+the+crowds+during+the+at-home+sports+games+with+their+stallion+enthusiasm%2C+and+have+plans+to+participate+more+with+the+students+and+school+events+this+year.+
Gabriella Bello
High-fiving future stallions during the halftime show, Stanley hypes up the White-Out varsity football game on September 8. Stanley and Stella play a big part in exciting the crowds during the at-home sports games with their stallion enthusiasm, and have plans to participate more with the students and school events this year.

At Friday night football games, the crowd roars “RFTB!” but we all know who does it the best. Parading around down at the field beside the pep squad are SJHHS’s mascots. Our renowned mascots Stanley and Stella are coming back stronger than ever this year, with some changes.

Mascots have been a huge part of representing our school spirit since San Juan Hills High School opened back in 2007. Stanley was the first mascot from the beginning of our school and Stella was introduced into our school around 2016.

To even become a school mascot, students have to attend an initial interest meeting and then go through the actual interview and audition process.

“We had them come in, we asked them three questions: characteristics they had that kind of makes them stand out above the others, why they wanted to be the mascot, and then if they are able to attend all the dates. Then, we basically put on a dance song and said ‘when the music starts you start, when the music stops you stop,’” said ASB Coordinator Brooke Valderrama.

Three students are chosen to take on the role of Stanley and Stella. The school events they attend are every pep rally, home varsity football and basketball game.

“I wanted to become a school mascot because it’s fun! It’s one of those things you think you’re never going to do and then you just sign up to do it. It’s been an adjustment period, you know, getting used to being in the costume and trying to be the best you can be without being awkward,” said Stanley.

SJHHS students high-five us and are all interested, especially at games they get really excited to see a school mascot there.”

— Stella

The mascots are pushing to get more actively involved within the school this year; for example, they recently performed a choreographed dance with the song team during the halftime show at the Battle of the Bell game which helps enhance the school spirit. Stanley and Stella will also be participating in the upcoming costume contest during Halloween.

“I think last year, I put it out there if anyone’s interested in being the mascot, come sign up. And then just the school year started and got away from us so we didn’t really do a tryout. It was just like two kids that came forth and said they would do it. Last year [the mascots] just weren’t around as much,” said Valderrama.

Being the school mascot does come with its obstacles, however, as being physically active and moving around for a long period of time inside the hefty costumes can be exhausting.

“It’s so hot in the mascot costume, like burning. You can’t really see either, like you’ll knock something over,” said Stella.

Despite the exerting activity that our mascots have to go through, Stanley and Stella look on the bright side nonetheless and continue to show their school spirit by hyping up the student sections of the games. They point out how much they enjoy their interactions with the fans.

“The little kids are really sweet because they like to take pictures with us…SJHHS students high-five us and are all interested, especially at games they get really excited to see a school mascot there,” said Stella.