Villalba Named Teacher of the Year

Fernanda+Villalba+works+with+sophomores+in+her+Spanish+Speakers+II+Class%2C+a+course+designed+for+students+who+are+already+heavily+experienced+with+the+language.+Villalba+was+recognized+as+the+SJHHS+2023+Teacher+of+the+Year.+

Cooper Aitken

Fernanda Villalba works with sophomores in her Spanish Speakers II Class, a course designed for students who are already heavily experienced with the language. Villalba was recognized as the SJHHS 2023 Teacher of the Year.

Gabriella Bello, Staff Writer

Fernanda Villalba’s classroom represents her well – flags of different countries, posters of Spanish culture, and photos of her various travels. As an instructor, Villalba has a mission to foster inclusivity in and out of the classroom. Her passion and efforts were recognized when she won CUSD’s 2023 Teacher of the Year. 

“I felt very emotional, proud, surprised, overwhelmed, but at the end, honored just to represent this school. We have a lot of great teachers, we have a lot of great students. I feel very blessed to work with a lot of friends and just people that have the same passion that I do,” said Villalba.

The Spanish and AVID educator has been teaching for 23 years. She began her career at Capo Valley, but later joined the planning team for SJHHS, where she has taught since. Villalba had also been the first teacher to win the Teacher of the Year Award for SJHHS when it started. 

Villalba works hard to form strong connections with her students, and create a positive learning space that can bring out the best in them. 

“My style of teaching is family-oriented, where students feel like my classroom is their second home. My class is a place where students can have a low-affective filter and are willing to take risks and challenge themselves and make mistakes in a comfortable setting in an academic environment that is both challenging and rigorous,” said Villalba.

Villalba is close with her colleagues and thanks them for contributing to her success in receiving this honor. 

“I have a really good team. Ms. Sanchez is my right hand, my left hand, my feet, and everything in between. And I have Tucker and Callier that really helped me edit the application, like it’s a team effort for sure. The AVID team, my World Language Department, the ELD team. I feel very blessed to work with a lot of friends and just people that have the same passion that I do,” said Villalba.

The teacher also spends significant time serving the Latinx and Hispanic community on campus.

“Giving back to the Latinx community with which I identify is what supports my ability to be an outstanding teacher. And I do my best – each day…each year. My heart is to be of service and a voice for a community of students who are traditionally ‘left behind’ and historically disengaged,” said Villalba. 

Learning from her personal experiences, she never wants Latinx students to feel that America’s education system is not designed for them, or that they do not belong in AP classes. Villalba shows students that they do belong, and are capable of more than they know. 

My heart is to be of service and a voice for a community of students who are traditionally ‘left behind’ and historically disengaged.

— Fernanda Villalba

Villalba has worked with community service groups, including the Rotary Club of San Juan Capistrano and the Interact club, for the past 20 years. She leads the SJHHS AVID program to aid students in college and career planning. As the No Place 4 Hate program adviser, Villalba continues her efforts towards inclusivity. 

“I really admire Sra. Villalba’s dedication to No Place for Hate program, AVID, First Generation Graduation, and to her work as a Spanish teacher; all of those things that are extremely hard to handle/do well on their own so the fact that she does them all is amazing,” said senior Mae Stafford, a student of Villalba’s AP Spanish Literature class.

Villalba says seeing her students’ successes later in life makes her job rewarding. She utilizes her past students as role models for current students, to show that they too can make it through high school, college, and beyond. 

“I love to see my students later in life, and accomplish their goals, and surpass what they ever had imagined. And not because of me, but I like to be a little part of that and see them develop,” said Villalba.

In addition, Villalba was recently awarded the Parenting OC’s Top Teacher Finalist award. She was nominated by parents, students, and peers for making a difference in education for her work with English learners. She is thankful for her recent awards and teaching career at SJHHS.