From Trash to Cash: Student Turns Neighborhood Gig Into Successful Business

Photo Courtesy of Cruz Magee

Entrepreneur Cruz Magee (12) pressure washes the roof of a local home in the community. Magee has turned a little neighborhood gig into a successful business, Triton Cleaning Services.

Kaitlyn Kittredge, Co Editor-in-Chief

Senior Cruz Magee has turned a neighborhood trash can cleaning gig into a successful pressure washing  and window cleaning business, cleaning local homes and businesses in the community. 

Magee has always had a business mind. He started his first business in August of 2020, taking his neighbors’ trash cans in and out each week and power washing them at the end of the month. 

“I wouldn’t get hired at Chick-Fil-A, so I decided to start my own business – and I haven’t looked back since,” said Magee.

Like most good ideas, Magee became interested in pressure washing through Tik Tok. 

“I saw power washing on Tik Tok and it looked pretty easy and an easy business model. I wanted to be an entrepreneur so I decided to take the leap of faith and do power washing,” said Magee. 

After several months of providing services in his neighborhood, Magee decided to expand his business to the entire community. This was the start of Triton Cleaning Services

I wanted to be an entrepreneur so I decided to take the leap of faith and do power washing

— Cruz Magee

Triton Cleaning Services provides several services including power washing, window cleaning, and solar panel cleaning. Magee performs these services on all exterior surfaces, ranging from driveways to roofs. 

Magee has also entered the world of commercial business. He has taken his business to local stores and restaurants, such as Ellie’s Table, Capistrano Business Center, CircusTrix and Nectar Clothing, and hopes to expand more commercially in the future. 

As his business has grown, Magee has realized that he can’t do it all on his own. Recently, Magee has hired two employees, Tyler Howsman and Ethan Sutter, both seniors at SJHHS, to help with the window cleaning side of the business. 

“They’re my boys. They’re really good workers. Tyler is my manager on the window cleaning side and he’s been a blessing since I’ve added him into the business at the beginning of summer,” said Magee. 

Although Magee works three to four times a week, he still manages to find the time to do the things he loves most, one being surfing. 

What motivates me is being financially free and being able to go on surf trips, or any trips, whenever I want and being able to take the time off to hang out with my family or do the things I love

— Cruz Magee

“I like to surf and hang out with friends. My favorite beach is Churches in San Onofre. I try to surf as much as I can when I’m not working. Even if I do work a day, I try to get at least a 30 minute session in at the end of the day,” said Magee. 

Magee plans to continue his business in the future, but strives to have the company run on its own so he can pursue his dream of becoming a real estate investor. He has several goals for the future and is motivated to achieve them. 

“What motivates me is being financially free and being able to go on surf trips, or any trips, whenever I want and being able to take the time off to hang out with my family or do the things I love. What also motivates me is being able to support my family and making sure my wife doesn’t have to work,” said Magee.