In-N-Out Employees Endure the Friday Night Football Game Rush

Domenica Peloso

Student and In-N-Out employee Veishali smiles during her shift. In-N-Out workers are often bombarded during the post-football game rush, making it a tough yet rewarding job.

Claire Stafford, Opinion Editor

After Friday night football games, SJHHS students typically crowd popular fast-food  joint In-N-Out. Its proximity to campus not only makes it a popular hangout spot, but also a common place for students to work. 

Senior Blake Davenport began working at In-N-Out in January 2022. Davenport frequently works on Friday nights during the post-football game rush. 

“[There are] usually tons and tons of kids from the school, a lot of orders, and when we are understaffed for that we get completely confused. It’s pretty fun, it’s a fun experience,” said Davenport. 

Sophomore Lily Carey particularly enjoys going to In-N-Out after Friday night games. 

“My friends and I have been lots of times, it’s usually loud and packed with people. We have a great time even though it can be hard finding places to sit and eat” said Carey. 

However, loud and packed building of high schoolers looking for fun can foster chaos, especially after a football game. Carey cites a specific instance after the Homecoming football game in which a student dressed in a gorilla costume began stirring confusion in the store.

“A person dressed up in a big gorilla costume walked into In-N-Out and started dancing with this other kid,” Carey said.

It was kinda scary because I was taking people’s orders, it was really chaotic, it was really loud and hard to hear. Ever since then I have never worked another football game

— In-N-Out worker

Because of baffling incidents like this, some In-N-Out workers try to avoid working Friday night shifts. 

“It was kinda scary because I was taking people’s orders, it was really chaotic, it was really loud and hard to hear. Ever since then I have never worked another football game,” said an In-N-Out worker. 

Sometimes, the extra amount of customers means workers have to stay much longer than expected.

“I was supposed to get off at 7 but stayed till like 10, [and] my voice was about to go out,” said senior Ellie Ho, citing her experience working after a football game.

In-N-Out workers Friday nights can be challenging and frustrating but ultimately enthralling.