Students in Yearbook Persevere Despite COVID Difficulties

Hannah White

Students Jaycee Roberts (left) and Amelia Ray (right) pose while working on the yearbook during hybrid online schooling.

Julia Lehman, Staff Writer

The yearbook program at San Juan Hills has faced various challenges throughout the 2020-2021 school year, working harder to make a great yearbook for the students and staff than they ever had to before. 

Last year’s yearbook was around 400 pages, and despite the circumstances, this year’s yearbook is going to be about the same length.

“We’ve been fortunate enough to have the option of hybrid schooling which makes things a little easier when trying to communicate with students. We’ve been able to take photos around school and even in a few classrooms. GoogleForms has also really helped us because people can send us photos as well as answer questions,” co editor in chief Amelia Ray said.

Despite having numerous students doing all online schooling instead of hybrid, they have still been able to contribute to the production of the yearbook. 

“For those at home, the yearbook software we use is all online so they have been able to help with production. And with emailing through Canvas, they have been able to reach out to others who may also be at home too,” said Ray.

A large portion of the yearbook consists of photos, yet despite the online circumstances and lack of photo opportunities, the students were still able to make ends meet even with the lack of school events this year.

I’ve enjoyed the process that we all went through to make the yearbook, and I’m happy I got to be a part of it. I think that it was just really nice to see everything come together.

— Ceballos

“Photos wise, we’ve been doing okay with students sending in photos from home through GoogleForms (huge shout out to everyone who has been responding to those and making my job a little easier). As sports have started back up, we’ve been able to take photos at practices and even a few games. It’s great to know students can start to have the full Yearbook experience by going on photo assignments and interviewing players after practices now,” said Ray.

Even though the production of the yearbook has been going smoothly, students in the class are still missing out on the full yearbook experience. 

“At first I was really excited because I thought I would be able to participate in taking pictures of people at school including clubs, football games, and dances, as well as hang out with the other students in yearbook. But once COVID hit everything changed and I was confused as to how the class was going to be,” said senior and first year member of yearbook Beyoncee Ceballos. 

Despite the difficulties, yearbook has still succeeded in their goal and been a fun class for its members. 

“I’ve enjoyed the process that we all went through to make the yearbook, and I’m happy I got to be a part of it. I think that it was just really nice to see everything come together,” said Ceballos.