UNICEF Club to Fundraise at Classical Concert

Olivia+Ross+%2812%29+poses+with+the+instrument+she+will+be+performing+with+in+the+virtual+concert+that+will+take+placer+Friday+October+23.++

Photo Courtesy of Olivia Ross

Olivia Ross (12) poses with the instrument she will be performing with in the virtual concert that will take placer Friday October 23.

Sandhya Ganesan, News Editor

Even in the midst of a national crisis with the coronavirus, students have managed to broaden their activism, and have started to raise awareness for dire international crises.

Friends Against Famine: A Classical Concert is a virtual program put on in part by the SJH UNICEF club to raise awareness and funds for the crisis in Yemen that has been declared the worst international crisis by the United Nations. The crisis has put 24 million of the nation’s 30 million in need of aid, and has resulted in a child dying every ten minutes.

“UNICEF is centered around the principle that equity must be extended to every child, so our club is trying to positively contribute as much as it can to this tragic situation,” said UNICEF club president Olivia Ross.  

In the concert, fourteen musicians will be playing from various schools across Orange County. Ross and club member Namaiah Miller will also be playing in addition to a few musicians from Vanderbilt University’s Blair School of Music. 

“The concert will commence with a brief overview of the Yemen crisis, followed by approximately an hour to an hour and a half of music. Every player will introduce themselves and the piece(s) they are playing during their set,” said Ross. 

I believe the Yemen crisis does not receive the media attention it deserves, so I am hoping this event will bring awareness to the community and allow us to appreciate all that we have

— Ross

The concert has garnered the attention of many, and has received a total of $1,150 in ticket sales thus far. Those funds will be directed to UNICEF’s Yemen crisis program. For every $100 they earn, they save the life of a child, and Ross is hoping that the momentum they have gained in ticket sales only continues.  

“Our club does not have a specific goal, as we are simply grateful for every purchase. While we hope people will continue buying tickets, we are very touched by the donations we have received,” said Ross. 

Ross is excited at the prospect of raising more money and significantly contributing to saving the lives of Yemeni children. Though Ross has been involved with UNICEF since elementary school, this is the club’s second year of operation at SJH.

“Two of my biggest passions are equity and classical music. This event is important to me because it merges the two. I believe the Yemen crisis does not receive the media attention it deserves, so I am hoping this event will bring awareness to the community and allow us to appreciate all that we have,” said Ross.