Water Polo MVP Ranks First in Southern California

Rylan Weber

Max Miller (12) smiles wide for his parents after just signing during the National Letter of Intent Ceremony. He will be attending the University of Southern California, where he will play water polo.

Gabby Laurente, Staff Writer

Senior Max Miller has surpassed all other water polo players throughout Southern California with an outstanding total of 512 goals scored throughout his high school water polo career, reaching seventh on the CIF-Southern Section’s all-time scoring list.

This surpassed the record of five time Olympian and silver medalist, Tony Azevedo, who is considered to be one of the best water polo players of his time. Coincidentally, Miller has attended a camp Azevedo hosted and has gotten to know the player.

Miller plays for Orange County Water Polo Club along with the high school team–observing that when playing for club, athletes are more likely to have better opportunities, such as playing for a team with a more balanced skill level.

Athletes are given a better learning environment overall, because through club they are able to challenge themselves more than they would be able to whilst playing for a high school team.

Before starting out his water polo career, Miller tried a variety of other sports. Ranging from basketball to soccer, nothing fit as well as water polo. Beginning at the age of twelve, Miller has now been playing for six years, and is currently the co-captain of the team, along with junior Ryan Clark.

Miller recognizes his coach, Ivan Buich, as his number one supporter and biggest inspiration.

“My coach, he’s like a mentor to me. He’s really done a lot for my career,” Miller said, advising other aspirants to “keep working hard and stay on the good side of your coach.”

He has recently committed to the University of Southern California, one of the best universities for water polo in the country, even receiving a scholarship for his feats.

“It was [a] really tough [decision] between USC or UCLA,” said Miller. “It came down to me wanting to go into business, and UCLA doesn’t really have that.”

With goals to become a medalist in the Olympics and obtaining a position in the business field– goals of which already seem to be at his disposal– there is no doubt Miller is taking his life in an exceptional direction.