Teacher Group Plays Dungeons and Dragons

Danielle Serio, along with the other members of the teacher Dungeons and Dragons group, and students of the She Kills Monsters play production gathered with teachers for a junk food filled evening of Dungeons & Dragons.

Photo courtesy of Jordyn Tagle

Photo courtesy of Jordyn Tagle

Photo courtesy of Jordyn Tagle

Nikki Iyer, Staff Writer

Teachers on campus such as Danielle Serio, Leo Spengler, Michael Ushino, Cambria Graff, and Kailtiln Nacarato get together every Sunday evening and play in a Dungeons and Dragons group.

Dungeons and Dragons was invented in 1972, as a fantasy, roleplay game. The game has made many appearances in popular culture, as featured in the show Stranger Things

The teachers did not play Dungeons and Dragons as kids but all had the desire to as adults so they created a  group.

To play the game, the group’s Dungeon Master (DM) creates a storyline for the players to follow, and evolves the story through each decision made in the game. The DM is the narrator of the game. Each player plays their own character. The DM will place the players in tricky situations, and the characters will have to find a solution to it.

A character will then roll a 20 sided dice. Rolling a one means the solution is completely ineffective, and 20 is the solution worked flawlessly. However, the effectiveness of a solution is subjective to the DM.

Ushino, the SJHHS’s choir teacher, is the group’s DM for their current plot. He has placed the group into a five act fantasy plot. The teachers have been playing this storyline since June 2019, yet four months later are still in Act 1. 

“We could be on this story until one of us actually dies, versus our characters dying,” said Serio.

As teachers, as the year goes on we find reasons not to hang out… there are so many things going on. D&D is a good excuse for us all to hang out together”

— Danielle Serio

The group meets weekly and are good friends. “When we meet, our start time during the school year [is] at 5 and [we] go to 8:30 or 9 but a lot of that time is getting Chipotle and hanging out together,” said Serio.

Only once every few months will they have to cancel a game session due to the teachers’ busy lives.“Consistency is key with Dungeons and Dragons,” said Spengler. If a Dungeons and Dragons group is not consistent with meeting, they may forget pieces to their plot, and lose the details to their story.

In the game, Serio plays a fighter dwarf named Ismene, who fights all things bad with her hammer, while Nacarato is a dragonborn sorcerer named Kava. Graff is a half elf rogue, and while she does not have high health, she plays a powerful thief that can shoot arrows and intimidate others.

Spengler plays a human bard, who is named Spotgogginloloquacious. “He is supposed to help us by healing us and motivating us. What he chooses to do is stab things and he doesn’t do that very well,” said Nacarato.

“I have a high level of charisma which means I can persuade people very well and I can intimidate people very well. Whenever there’s a situation when we need to get someone to do something for us or tell us something, I use my silver tongue to extract the information and typically there is some musical accompaniment. I type Didgeridoo [a musical instrument] on youtube, and play it full volume until Mr. Ushino gives me what I want,” said Spengler.

Being in this group allows them to take a break from their busy lives and socialize with other teachers.

“As teachers, as the year goes on we find reasons not to hang out… there are so many things going on. D&D is a good excuse for us all to hang out together,” said Serio.

While the intention of their game session is to play Dungeons and Dragons, playing the game together has made the teachers better friends. Playing the game is not what makes their Sunday evenings so enjoyable, the people in the group is what creates memories.

“Playing D&D is the last reason I go to hang out with this group,” said Spengler.