• The Tan Band Wins Battle of the Bands

• Sofia Votava Wins President's Volunteer Service Award

• Skyla Setzler Wins 2nd in District Poster Competition

• Battle of the Bands Winner to Play Concert at Lunch Friday

• 2019 Stallion of the Year Nominees Announced

• Lila Holley and Sierra Young In Top 15 of OC Register Varsity Artists

New Club “Donates” Dances to Students in Need

Eva Smedeby

More stories from Eva Smedeby

Freshman student, Sam Gugliuzza prints her name on sign up sheet for Donate-A-Dance. Gugliuzza, along with several other students gathered in Mrs.Bak-Boychuk's room on March 6th to join the club and took the lunch period as a time to discuss upcoming plans and goals for Donate-A-Dance.

Eva Smedeby

Eva Smedeby

Eva Smedeby

Ranging from anywhere between $80-175, school dances are expensive, and it’s no wonder why some students find themselves unable to attend because of the large fee.

English teacher, Christy Bak-Boychuk, along with other SJHHS teachers, have taken the exorbitant dance prices into account, and in the past, have paid for as many students’ tickets to dances as they could along with a few “Angel Parents”.

These parents wanted to have a bigger impact because they can’t pay for all students unable to attend. This is why Bak-Boychuk recently formed a club called Donate-A-Dance.

“There are some kids who you are sitting next to that would love to participate but feel very left out because they don’t have the money,” says Bak-Boychuk.

Everyone comes from different backgrounds, but just because one can’t afford to attend school activities doesn’t mean they necessarily don’t want to, or are any less deserving than any other student.

There are some kids who you are sitting next to that would love to participate but feel very left out because they don’t have the money”

— Christy Bak-Boychuck

Not only does the club target raising money for dance fees but also to pay for other school functions like football games and Grad Night.

To raise money for these functions, there will be a booth at registration offering the chance for a student to become an “Angel”. With being an Angel, they will be paying for a school function for a student who can’t afford it, where it will later be anonymously donated to them.

The club has just been given the “go ahead” by principle, Jennifer Smalley, and is in the midst of gathering students to be apart of the organization. Students’ can currently sign up for the club by speaking with Mrs.Bak-Boychuk by her classroom in the J building or by seeing Principal Smalley in her office.

It makes you feel good knowing that you made someone else feel like they belong”

— Christy Bak-Boychuck

“It’ll be more of an anonymous thing and you know in your heart that you have helped somebody,” says Bak-Boychuk.

What many students have yet to understand is the major financial issues many kids who attend school struggle with. The issue dives deeper than just having a rough couple of months but rather years, leaving some students homeless and on the streets.

Becoming an “Angel” although is an amazing opportunity to become part of something more than just giving back. It allows for every student, no matter what background, to feel apart of something and accounted for. It connects the student to the school and allows for crucial memories that last far from our highschool years.

“It makes you feel good knowing that you made someone else feel like they belong,” says Bak-Boychuk.

Eva Smedeby, Staff Writer

This is Eva Smedeby’s freshman year in high school as well as her first year writing for The Express. She is very excited to be apart of the newspaper...