Tony Wang Kicks Off The Season On Varsity Football

Katie Brubaker

Tony Wang, freshman varsity kicker, stands in The Badlands stadium at SJHHS.

Kennedy Flores, Staff Writer

A freshman football player takes on the big role of being the third string varsity kicker.

This is Tony Wang’s first year attending SJHHS and playing football. Before Wang started his football career he played  8-10 years of soccer, which definitely became a huge assistance to his ability to kick.

Before Wang was invited to play for varsity football, he played on the freshman team for a total of two weeks, where he spent most of his time conditioning with his former teammates.

With the help of his mentor Billy Hester, a sophomore on the varsity football team, Wang was able to meet more people and both boys came to an agreement that playing on varsity focuses more on technique and skill rather than the conditioning.

“My favorite part of playing on varsity is probably the brotherhood, hanging with the big boys.” stated Hester.

This winter, Wang will be trying out for the boys soccer team and hopes to be a part of the strong soccer unit at SJHHS as well.

My favorite part of playing on varsity is probably the brotherhood, hanging with the big boys.

— Billy Hester

His first appearance on the football field was an away game at Great Oak High School last week. Where the team came home with a victory and final score of 24-0.

Although Wang is still debating on partaking in football next year, he is very excited for the season to continue and potentially pursuing a career in the NFL.