• The Tan Band Wins Battle of the Bands

• Sofia Votava Wins President's Volunteer Service Award

• Skyla Setzler Wins 2nd in District Poster Competition

• Battle of the Bands Winner to Play Concert at Lunch Friday

• 2019 Stallion of the Year Nominees Announced

• Lila Holley and Sierra Young In Top 15 of OC Register Varsity Artists

The Power Couple of San Juan Hills: The Spiers

Health+and+AP+Lang+Teacher+Sharon+Spiers+and+History+Teacher+Robert+Spiers+are+a+married+couple+that+have+been+teaching+together+for+years.+They+love+their+job+and+being+able+to+be+in+the+same+workplace.+

Health and AP Lang Teacher Sharon Spiers and History Teacher Robert Spiers are a married couple that have been teaching together for years. They love their job and being able to be in the same workplace.

Logan Chavez

Logan Chavez

Logan Chavez

Grace Aitken, Op-Ed Editor

There is no shortage of couples on high school campuses. Short, awkward premature flings to long, committed relationships fill the hallways and make up much of the gossip at school. What isn’t as common, but just as adorable, is married teachers working on the same campus.

Married for almost 30 years, the Spiers’ could be considered the ultimate “power couple” of SJHHS. Robert Spiers, a history, sociology, and psychology teacher, has been at the school for nine years, and Sharon Spiers, an AP Lang and Health teacher has been a Stallion since the school’s opening.

Mr. Spiers spent the first part of his adult life working as a youth counselor at the YMCA in North Ireland. He then traveled working with young people until he ended up in Los Angeles, where he met Mrs. Spiers.

”I’d been traveling around the world for nearly three years backpacking; and, when I came to the States, I met some friends I’d met in Hong Kong. Through them, I ended up meeting Mrs. Spiers and, of course, it was love at first sight,” Mr. Spiers said.

I’d been traveling around the world for nearly three years backpacking; and, when I came to the States, I met some friends I’d met in Hong Kong. Through them, I ended up meeting Mrs. Spiers and, of course, it was love at first sight”

— Robert Spiers

It was because of Mrs. Spiers that Mr. Spiers even became a teacher. He originally was interested in going into social work, but Mrs. Spiers encouraged him to get his history degree and begin teaching.

Mrs. Spiers, on the other hand, has wanted to become a teacher since she was a teenager.

”When I was in tenth grade, I decided I wanted to make a difference in the world, and I decided I could do that by becoming a teacher,” said Mrs. Spiers.

Mrs. Spiers loves working at SJHHS because of its positive environment, the friends she has made, and  seeing her husband everyday. It’s really hard to miss him because his classroom is directly below hers in the H building.

”He helps me with stuff when I need it. He’ll help me fix things like my cords, or today he brought me Starbucks. If I need anything he’ll be there to help me,” Mrs. Spiers said.

Mr. Spiers also loves working so close to his wife because of the unique bond they share due to both being teachers at the same school.

”My wife and I are in the same place so we share, maybe not the same students, but we certainly have lots to talk about. Sometimes when a husband and wife have different jobs it’s hard for them to understand what the other’s job is like, but we both teach so when we talk about our day we know exactly what each other is talking about,” Mr. Spiers said.

Mr. Spiers is known for being at most school sports games and other school events. He is often on the sidelines watching and supporting his students in their activities outside of the classroom.

”I just like sports. I love watching sports, and I grew up playing sports. For me, it’s just fun to go out and support students as they try to do their best out on the court or field. Sometimes, when you see students in the classroom, it’s pretty one dimensional, but it’s great to see those same students, whether its in choir, orchestra, swimming, or something else,” Mr. Spiers said.

Like all great teachers, they both love their jobs  and love seeing their students grow and thrive.

”My favorite part of my job is feeling like I am making a valuable contribution to students’ lives. Rather that’s helping them learn how to write better for college or helping them think better and make good decisions with health,” Mrs. Spiers said.

Mr. Spiers loves joking with his students and having a good time in the classroom while teaching the subject.

”For me you have to be able to come to school, enjoy what you do, and have a laugh,” Mr. Spiers said.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Spiers have become an integral part in the SJHHS community and are beloved among their students and peers, as well as by each other.

Grace Aitken, Staff Writer

Grace Aitken is a junior and excited to start her second year writing for The Express Newspaper as the news editor.  After school she likes to horseback...