• History Teacher Bill Kaiser Wins Teacher of the Year

• Football Player Sean Rhyan Commits to UCLA

• Finals Week 12/18-12/20

• Link Crew Hosting Holiday Potluck for Freshman 12/13

• CSF Collecting Unwrapped Toys for Toys for Tots

• 2nd Annual SJHHS Kindess Week Nov. 13-16

Office Assistant Moonlights as Photographer

An example of Manny Romero’s recent portrait of a girl named Sailor demonstrates his talent with a camera. The gift of a camera at age 9 from his father sparked an interest in photography, and for 39 years hes been a professional photographer in his free time.

Photo Courtesy of Manny Romero

Photo Courtesy of Manny Romero

Photo Courtesy of Manny Romero

Sam Newman, Co Editor-in-Chief

Office assistant by day and professional photographer by night, Manny Romero is the face at the front desk of SJHHS and the face behind the lens.

One of the most inspiring ones was when I shot a tennis tournament with Down’s Syndrome children, and it was amazing. Their attitude and how much they enjoyed life was more inspiring to me than shooting professional.”

— Manny Romero

Before he was in charge of answering phones he owned a commercial landscape business for 14 years, then he worked as an Irrigation Specialist for CUSD. An injury moved him behind the desk.
His life behind the lens has been a long time in the making; Romero has worked professionally for 37 years shooting college sports, professional sports, media, fashion, and product photography. Romero currently operates his own professional photography business (mannyromerophotography.com) and shoots portraits of families, high school senior, babies, food and products.
While in his freelance days he mostly shot products and college sports, like lacrosse, track and field, baseball, basketball, water polo, and tennis, Romero also volunteered his time and photographic skills with various organizations.
He said, “One of the most inspiring ones was when I shot a tennis tournament with Down’s Syndrome children, and it was amazing. Their attitude and how much they enjoyed life was more inspiring to me than shooting professional.”
Romero began his journey into photography at a young age. “My dad was a professional photographer. I’ve had a camera in my hand since I was nine years old. That’s when he gave my first camera, and I started seeing the world through the lens,” said Romero.
His ample experience led him all across the country on various photography assignments, but he usually chose not to travel abroad.
Romero’s current work isn’t only portraits, but he has shot the last three covers for San Clemente Lifestyle Magazine and has been featured throughout the publication.
When work time leads to leisure time, Romero prefers to ditch the camera. “Usually when I’m on vacation I try not to take my cameras with me. Most photographers live with their cameras, but I’ve done it for so long now I don’t do that anymore,” he said.
With enough knowledge on the subject of photography, Romero said he would love to teach advanced classes to high schoolers through the CCA, formerly called ROP, program someday to help students learn how to make a career out of photography.
“It could be a career that somebody could use to have a life with, if it’s taught right and they’re challenged enough,” said Romero.

Sam Newman, Co Editor-in-Chief

Sam is in her senior year at SJHHS and is excited to start her third year in newspaper as a Co Editor-in-Chief of The Express. She is the Academic Decathlon...