Writing for the Brand

• Mrs. Gideon Wins Teacher Of The Year!

• Winter Instrumental Music Concert Dec. 12

• Finals Week Dec. 19 - 21

• Women of Lockerbie Performances Nov. 29 - Dec. 9

Consistantly Quirky: Stallion Traditions

Jeri and Jared Tretter (12) celebrate Banana Day before passing the role onto two juniors. They sat on top of a trash can and ate their bananas at lunch in celebration.

Logan Chavez

Logan Chavez

Ethan Clarke, Staff Writer

San Juan Hills High School is the newest high school in the Capistrano district, but that has not stopped students from creating lasting traditions.

In 2011, one of these traditions was created by a student named Reece Halter. Jared Tretter, one of the students who was in charge continuing the legacy of Banana Day, said to The Express that, “The legend tells that one day there was a man named Reece Halter and he had never eaten a banana in his entire life. And when his friend found that out he was like ‘Woah dude, who are you? Just eat one.’ So he passed him one and on that very day the whole school gathered to watch him eat his first banana, and then he ended up loving it.”

This experience created a continuing ritual that would pass through four generations of students. And the most intriguing part of it all is that it is student run. The students at SJHHS have made it their goal to keep the tradition alive.

However Banana Day may not stand alone anymore, and it could stand alongside another student driven day of celebration.

If you were one of the 301 students that signed the petition that was floating around then you probably know what is being alluded to here. A day of dressing up to recreate your most favorite memes. Hence the name “Meme Day”.

Trabuco Hills did a Meme day, where students dressed up as their favorite memes, and it turned out good so I think we might model something after that.”

— Cole Bates

In an interview Cole Bates told The Express that, “We have plans on doing a Meme Day in the future, but we haven’t decided 100% on what we are doing yet. We’ve had a few meetings about it so work is being done and your voices were heard.”

Bates also mentioned the possible incorporation of ‘Meme Day’ into the dress up days before school dances.

Meme Day has the potential to be another lasting tradition at San Juan Hills High School, much like Banana Day. But whether or not it leaves the same legacy of Banana Day is up to the students.