• The Tan Band Wins Battle of the Bands

• Sofia Votava Wins President's Volunteer Service Award

• Skyla Setzler Wins 2nd in District Poster Competition

• Battle of the Bands Winner to Play Concert at Lunch Friday

• 2019 Stallion of the Year Nominees Announced

• Lila Holley and Sierra Young In Top 15 of OC Register Varsity Artists

Filed under Feature

Flexible Seating with Flexible Arrangements

Walking into Madame Keeler’s classroom, you can't help but to jump back and rethink your classroom experience.

Students+in+Keeler%27s+room+sit+comfortably+on+couches%2C++and+bean+bags+to+learn+in+an+efficient+way.+

Students in Keeler's room sit comfortably on couches,  and bean bags to learn in an efficient way.

Students in Keeler's room sit comfortably on couches, and bean bags to learn in an efficient way.

Juan Galindo

Juan Galindo

Juan Galindo

When you walk into French teacher Linda Keeler’s room, the first thing you will notice is that there are no classic desks or chairs. Instead, there is a hodgepodge of kitchen tables, bar stools, and beanbags.

Over the summer, Madam Keeler asked for furniture donations for her flexible seating idea on Craigslist. Not all her current furniture is donated though, and she invested her money into the her students’ successes in her classroom too.

Keeler, as a mother and teacher, found that her daughters had different preferences in studying.

This made her rethink the efficacy of students learning in a traditional classroom environment, compelling her to create a different environment that would accommodate for the variation in her students’ learning habits.

“Some [students] like to sit on a desk, some like to lay on their beds, some like to sprawl across the floor; if they’re most comfortable working like that, how does a traditional desk fit their needs?” said Madam Keeler.

The new seating is more fun. It’s also easier to collaborate, and overall it’s a more positive environment.”

— Sophia Paz

Of course, having a variety of chairs and tables in the way could complicate the experience of a student in a wheelchair or in crutches.

“In the event we would have somebody that needed wheelchair access, the beauty of this classroom is that everything can move, so we might need to create a larger corridor. There is such a variety of seating here that it can easily be rearranged, and they would have the option to pull up to a desk or even next to the couch,” said Madam Keeler.

Roxy Amirazizi, a senior enrolled in AP French IV, elaborated on her experience with the new flexible seating. “I personally love it. I think it makes it a lot more comfortable environment, and I feel like I’m more open to sharing my ideas, just because of the seating arrangements. The way it is I could see everyone I could address them more effectively than if I were on a desk.”

Sophia Paz, another current senior, said, “The new seating is more fun. It’s also easier to collaborate, and overall it’s a more positive environment.”

The flexible seating in the traditional classroom is a new idea, and its uniqueness is accounting for all students and their preferences.

Juan Galindo, Staff Writer

Juan is a senior at SJHHS this year and is thrilled to be a new team member of The Express. Juan has been in the Dual Immersion program since kindergarten...

1 Comment

One Response to “Flexible Seating with Flexible Arrangements”

1. Drae Trounce on October 6th, 2017 7:13 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea, and completely agree in that everyone doesn’t always learn the same, I think this opens doors for more kids and reaches so many more styles of learning. I would love to see more classrooms like this.

• Flexible Seating with Flexible Arrangements

Clubs

New Club “Donates” Dances to Students in Need

Feature

Twin Brothers Shootin’ Easy on District Hockey Team

Feature

Subbing In-San Juan Hill’s Long-Term Substitutes

Feature

Lila Holley and Sierra Young Recognized as Varsity Artist Finalists

Feature

Senior Stallion Baking for a Change

Feature

Artistic Students Paint Their Future

Feature

Students Accepted to Top University for Technical Theater

• Feature

Driver’s Test Gone Wrong

Feature

Ryan Marin Exceeds Academically as a Sophomore

Feature

Sophomore Commits to Northwestern University