Day of the Dead Captures America’s Attention

Sarah Salinas

Students in Spanish classes at SJHHS spent the last few weeks constructing graves in remembrance for the deceased, located in the library. Dia de los Muertos, a large part of Mexican culture, is a 2-day holiday celebrating those who have passed.

Cameron Sadeghi, Staff Writer

The Day of the Dead, or Dia de los Muertos, is one of the most misunderstood holidays. While most Latinos in America celebrate this holiday, most non Latino Americans have many misconceptions about this holiday.

“People often think it’s a sad celebration, but really it’s a way to honor their loved ones and celebrate the lives they lived,” said Alyssa Picariello (12), Spanish club president.

Dia de los Muertos occurs every year on November first and second. Some believe that the holiday occurs after Halloween, to promote a mean spirited approval for death. In reality, the holiday has a more upbeat and celebratory vibe than what it is perceived to be.

Instead of staying in a long term state of sorrow, Latinos share stories and reflect upon deceased loved ones.

“In Mexico, they celebrate the day of the dead to honor the their loved ones. The beginning celebration honors the children and as it progresses they go on to honor the middle aged and the elderly,” said Picariello.

Besides Mexico, the holiday is celebrated in many regions of Latin America.

At San Juan Hills, the Spanish club has a week long celebration of Dia de los Muertos. On the first two days, the students form sugar skulls and decorate them however they please. They finish off the week long celebration with a luncheon and music.

The Day of the Dead celebration includes major iconic figures that influenced society. In Los Angeles, community centers created altars for legendary rapper Tupac Shakur and Mexican artist Frida Kahlo.

Dia de los Muertos has had a large-scale impact on America. While the holiday’s popularity is rapidly growing in the states, some argue that some of the spiritual components are being taken away due to tourists. In Oaxaca, Mexico, American tourists have bombarded cemeteries to take pictures of villagers praying.

While Memorial’s Day is similar to Dia de los Muertos, Americans should show more respect instead of claiming to take ownership of a holiday they did not create.