SJHHS Student Finds Passion With Horses

Photo Courtesy of Riley Leivas

Tori Powers, Staff Writer

Willing student and rated equestrian athlete Riley Leivas (10) is dedicated to her sport, in and out of the ring.

Leivas is on the SJHHS equestrian team, but also competes outside of the school shows.

Her riding style is english, which originated in England, she specializes in the jumpers, which is based on speed and getting around the course of jumps with no rails knocked down.

“[My favorite part about riding is] that it’s a team effort with a giant animal who doesn’t have to do what you ask but they choose to listen…what they do for us is truly amazing,” said Leivas.

Leivas’ favorite part about showing is that it makes her better at riding and the competition pushes her to improve. When she places well it makes her feel like all of her hard work has been worth it.

She has been riding for 13 years, and many of the best memories of her life have come from her involvement.

Leivas’ love for horses came from when she was younger. “My grandma would take care of me and my brother and we would always go to the barn and feed the horses,” said Leivas.

Leivas started riding when a trainer at the barn asked her if she wanted to try a riding lesson.

She has owned her current horse, Chili, for three years and is grateful for every minute spent with him. Leivas feels extremely lucky with how good all of her horses have been and she will continue to cherish the way this sport has changed her life.