• Makeup registration Monday, August 12 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Freshman registration August 6 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Junior registration August 6 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Sophomore registration August 5 (12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
  • Senior registration August 5 (8:00 am to 11:00 am)
  • Cina Abedzadeh named new principal of SJHHS at June 12 board meeting
  • 6 Year Accreditation From WASC Granted: No mid-cycle Review
  • Mental Health Week April 30 - May 30
The story of San Juan as told by its students

Any Clue What Art Students Have Been Waiting to Exhibit?

Rowan Noonan
In Art class, peacefully painting, Tyler Vo (9) prepares to finish his artwork inspired by the game Operation to display it in the Clue Art Exhibit. Vo works with great serenity as he makes use of an array of colors, details, and dimensions in his painting.

AP art students exceeded expectations for their Clue Art Exhibit after they unveiled their twenty-foot art piece!

The Art Department collaborated with the Theater Department and created an on-campus art exhibit in the theater conference room which displayed the AP and Advanced Art students’ artwork in honor of the upcoming fall play, Clue. 

The exhibit consisted of the Game On project which is Advanced Art students’ artwork inspired by any kind of game, art from the PTSA Reflections Contest, and something a bit more unordinary. The AP Drawing class created a twenty-foot collaborative art piece that they started on the second week of school.

“We all laid it out in the classroom and we would stand around it in a big group and give our opinions on what it’s missing and where we think we need more work. I structured the beginning part but after that it was like the kids have a say in it,” said Drawing and Painting teacher, Avery Arman. 

Instead of having students draw their warm-up pieces in their notebooks, they drew them on the big canvas and around ten students at a time would take turns to work on it. This process helped the students work efficiently on the art piece. 

“You definitely have to be able to listen to other people because you don’t want to cover somebody else’s thing or you don’t want to get in their space,” said Vanessa Roselli.

Creating an art piece of this substantial size was a challenge for AP Drawing students since it was new for many of them. However, they were still able to experiment to find various ways to collaborate with each other and play around with their art skills.

“I was kind of nervous about just how it would turn out because different people have different art styles and ideas,” said Aubrey Krater. 

AP Drawing students are highly experienced and are required to have a developed skill set so they can withstand the pace and difficulty of the class while also enjoying it. Students like Ekaterina Likhvareva and Roselli have been doing art from a very young age and still continue to take art classes because it gives them a space to freely express themselves and relax. 

Free expression gave students the opportunity to play with various art styles and share their creativity. Everything on the canvas was specific to an artist and accredited to their own style of art and personality. 

“Some kids got really realistic and some things are more abstract… there were twenty different people working on it, it’s a mashup of twenty different styles,” said Arman.

In time when their art presented challenges including professionalism and meeting deadlines, it created many more rewards. After all the students’ hard work and persistent efforts they were able to look back at their art and feel a sort of pride and gratification after the Art Exhibit was publicized on November 1.

“It’s so cool to see the kids be initially really nervous about making their artwork public and having other people see it but usually when they see it all come together they end up being really proud of themselves,” said Arman.