To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before Review

Photo by Lucy Law

A letter similar to this one is mailed to every boy Laura Jean has ever loved.

Claire Cone, Staff Writer

Based on the novel written in 2014 by Jenny Han, the teen romantic comedy, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, embodies a quirky high school experience between a girl and her crush.

A teenage girl experiences an unusual love life after her secret love letters are surreptitiously mailed to the objects of her affection.

After Lara’s more sophisticated, older sister falls in love with her best friend, Josh Sanderson, Lara must write her feelings away. Little does she know, her every emotion towards the 5 boys she has loved would be conveyed to them through the same tear-stained envelopes.

Lana Condor plays the role of high school junior Lara Jean, an innocent girl whose intent for love seems to be scattered. Almost invisible at school, she becomes noticed by Peter Kavinsky, the most popular boy in school; who also happens to be one of the recipients of her love letters. Peter’s role is played by teenage heartthrob, Noah Centineo.

With the burden of embarrassment, Lara must face her fear of talking to boys in order to soften the blow of rejection.

Peter, on the other hand, proposes to fake a relationship with Laura in order to make her popular, and to make his ex-girlfriend jealous. While in a fake relationship, Peter and Laura become actual best friends, slowly leading them to accept their real life feelings they develop for each other.

It is easy to fall in love with this story, which so softly exemplifies the beautiful way friendship can transform into a relationship.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before demonstrates an accurate representation of the raw emotion high school relationships can bring. It is pure, relatable, warm-hearted, and tear jerking. The coming of age love story is fresh and unique. Most book-turned movies are typically cheesy and overrated, but time and care was definitely put into this production.