• History Teacher Bill Kaiser Wins Teacher of the Year

• Football Player Sean Rhyan Commits to UCLA

• Finals Week 12/18-12/20

• Link Crew Hosting Holiday Potluck for Freshman 12/13

• CSF Collecting Unwrapped Toys for Toys for Tots

• 2nd Annual SJHHS Kindess Week Nov. 13-16

Mid 90s: An All-Around Success

Mid 90s: An All-Around Success

Photo courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

Photo courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

Photo courtesy of Entertainment Weekly

Connor Rose, Inside A&E Editor

“Mid 90’s”, written and directed by Jonah Hill, is simply refreshing. The film follows Stevie, a young boy who skates through life, bombarded with conflict of self-expression in opposition to mob mentality. In a year filled with overly melancholy dramas and cheesy comedies, Jonah Hill made a film that masterfully blends both tones and leaves the audience severely moved.

A largely unique part of the film is the acting, relying on a cast of largely unknown actors, much to the film’s success. It gave a sense of authenticity and genuine emotion, keeping the audience invested in the film. Steve is played by the incredible Sunny Suljic, who captures a vast array of emotions at such a young age. His character truly shines throughout the entirety of the film and delivers one of the most real performances of 2018. The standout for me was  Na-Kel Smith who plays Rey, an older skater who largely influences Steve and acts as a role model to the coming-of-age teen. There’s a specific scene in the film both characters share that is likely to put them up for Oscar nominations and shows the range of both the film and the actors involved.

Jonah Hill’s script and direction is top-notch, creating a grounded, realistic world that doesn’t shy away from the darker moments in life. Hills’s script paints the life of Steve and the battle with peer pressure creatively; the struggle of his determination to fit in with the local kids all the while seeking to maintain his heart and integrity are beautifully expressed through a script that says so much with such little dialogue. Hill’s experience and skill with comedy is heavily shown with the comedy feeling so natural, adding moments of levity to a deep, dark plot. All moments felt necessary and nothing felt as if it was filler or exposition; in addition, the constant pulling and pushing of the various influences in Steve’s life create a unique, varied character arc that is both relatable to the audience and complex enough to keep them invested.

Jonah Hill’s script and direction is top-notch, creating a grounded, realistic world that doesn’t shy away from the darker moments in life”

The 1990s setting perfectly displays the time period and creates a sense of nostalgia, helping the audience gain sentimentality towards the film. One of the most impacting scenes is when Steve’s friends shows the group his homemade film and it came full circle in 90’s quality film-editing.

“Mid 90s” is truly unique; its blend of comedy and drama feels natural and the score bolsters the already great film. In addition to a great story acted out by talented actors, the film brings a unique spin on the message of individuality and the feeling of peer pressure. This movie hasn’t gotten the praise it deserves and and it should go up for nominations in the coming Oscar season.

Connor Rose, Staff Writer

Connor Rose is a senior at San Juan Hills and this is his first year in newspaper.  He’s beyond excited to be a part of the Express team and is so grateful...