• History Teacher Bill Kaiser Wins Teacher of the Year

• Football Player Sean Rhyan Commits to UCLA

• Finals Week 12/18-12/20

• Link Crew Hosting Holiday Potluck for Freshman 12/13

• CSF Collecting Unwrapped Toys for Toys for Tots

• 2nd Annual SJHHS Kindess Week Nov. 13-16

Venom Movie Infests Theaters

This review contains story spoilers!

Venom is the first of many movies to be made by both Marvel Studios and Sony Corporation. Art by @sp3ctra on DeviantArt.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Ryan Healy, Staff Writer

Venom. The new anti-hero movie that infested theaters October 5th is the first of many movies made by both Marvel Studios and Sony Corporation. The movie is originally based on the comic book character of the same name, who debuted in 1993’s Venom, Lethal Protector comic book.  

The new movie focuses on investigative journalist Eddie Brock, played by Tom Hardy, who is trying to get back on his feet after a scandal. He follows a lead on a mysterious organization known as the Life Foundation, only to become infected by an alien symbiote that turns him into the titular character.

Riz Ahmed, who has been seen in other movies such as Nightcrawler and Rogue one, steps onto the big screen once again to play main villain Carlton Drake, the head of the Life Foundation. Eddie wasn’t the only person to get infested by a symbiote, as Drake bonds with one as well, to become the being known as Riot.

Reviews of this movie are fairly mixed. Some seem to think this movie is a comedy, while others are excited about what they think is a thriller. Many are excited by the post-credits scenes, a tradition in most Marvel films. The first, midway through the credits, features Hardy’s character back as a reporter, visiting San Quentin Prison to interview Woody Harrelson’s character, Cletus Kasady, when Kasady says to Brock, “When I get outta here, and I will, there’s gonna be… carnage.” This is a not-so-subtle reference to the comics, where Kasady was also host to a symbiote, turning him into the character of Carnage.

The second post-credits scene is at the end of the credits, a point in time that only die-hard fans sit through. This one transitions to a more comic-style animation, and shows a preview of the upcoming “Spider-man- Into The Spider-Verse”.

It features Miles Morales, the alternate universe version of Spider-man, in a thrilling chase with the villain known as the Prowler. Morales then visits the grace of the original Spider-man, Peter Parker. Miles is startled by the presence of an older Peter and knocks him unconscious with his Venom Blast, one of Miles’ unique powers.

Little did he know that Peter “webbed” him before the knockout, resulting in them being stuck together as the police arrive and chase them throughout the city. This reveals Sony’s approach to the Spider-man Universe movies, which will be separate from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which contains movies such as Avengers and Infinity War. The movie comes out Dec. 14.

This is the first of many films for which Marvel Studios plans to team up with Sony. Future movies made by the two studios will focus on characters such as Black Cat, Silver Sable, Morbius the Living Vampire, Kraven the Hunter, Jackpot, Silk, and Nightwatch, all from the brand-new “Spider-verse.”

One thing is for sure: whatever the two studios decide to do will certainly be a step in a new direction, and a thrilling addition to the franchise.

Ryan Healy, Staff Writer

Ryan Healy is the most handsome person in the world. More realistically, he’s a sophomore (clearly the best class) and does stuff for The Express newspaper....