Lady Bird Takes Flight

Katie Brubaker, Feature Editor

Lady Bird, is a comedic independent film about a high school student from a low-income family that attends a Catholic school in Pasadena, California.

Set in 2002, the film follows Christine McPherson through her adolescent related plights: things such as first boyfriends, sex, drugs, fitting in (or lack thereof) and the high school social hierarchy. However, the predominant theme of the film is the relationship this unique and sometimes outrageous teenager has with her mother, Marion.

Christine, who has given herself the title of Lady Bird, struggles with her mom as she goes through her Senior year. While the two go through the typical mother-daughter squabbles, the ironic similarities between the two are highlighted throughout the film. This makes the narrative both enjoyable and eye-opening for the audience.

With this very truthful approach to teenage life, Lady Bird is an extremely enjoyable experience that will definitely resonate with all those who will be flying away from the nest soon.

— Katie Brubaker

This film was completely hysterical especially because I saw it with my own mother. The disputes the two argue over such as school, senior year, college, appearances, and various other little things parallel accurately with many of the conversations I’ve had with my own mother. This aspect of the film resonates with the audience and gives off a great sense of relatability.

Another aspect of “high school life” that was accurately depicted were the new experiences Lady Bird encounters: her first boyfriend, having to choose between popularity and legitimate friendship, her first sample of alcohol, and her first experiences with rejection are all portrayed in a sweet and very truthful way that should connect with a lot of students who are in the same point in life as Lady Bird.

As Lady Bird begins to prepare to fly out of the nest and away to college after her senior year, the tensions between her and her mother grow heated. When Marion discovers that Lady Bird and her father have filled out an application for a university on the opposite side of the country, she is utterly infuriated and refuses to speak to LadyBird.

However, this anger is replaced by heartbreak, and it is made clear that Marion just fears her daughter leaving and is utterly devastated at the notion that they won’t be together in the oncoming year. This extreme change is terrifying for Marion and strips her of her tough, strong-willed shell leaving her exposed as a mother who truly loves her daughter.

As a teenager in high school, Ladybird rebelled against most things: her name, the Catholic beliefs of her school, her hometown, and her mother. When she finally leaves and is immersed in her new, foreign life, she ends up clinging to and embracing those very things she once challenged. With this very close and truthful approach to teenage life that this film takes on, it is an extremely enjoyable and fascinating movie for both teens and parents.