Introverts Suffer in the Shadow of Extroverts

Policy of grading based on participation puts many at risk.

Alexea Malaletkin, Editorial Editor

It’s a basic fact: we can all be classified as either an introvert or an extrovert. However, it is a black and white spectrum that should not impact a student’s academic potential.

With educational systems constantly evolving to create a more efficient experience from years K-12, we should have by now accepted that no two students are the same, and not everybody thrives in the same environment as their peers.

We all think differently; there are those who think aloud and those who would rather rehearse and mentally edit their thoughts to ensure that what they contribute is as golden as it initially was in their mind. This is a right of passage that should not be daunted by the pressure to participate.

This division hurts introverts. Characteristically, extroverts flourish and legitimately enjoy having their voice be heard, while introverts do not benefit from being forced to engage in group discussion.

That is not to say that discussion should cease. It is in the spirit of learning to consider new perspectives and be provided with a variety of ideas, and there will always be at least one student eager to share. However, contribution should not be mandatory.

It is a personality type as opposed to a justification to detach from the course or lack attentiveness. There are other ways for teachers to assess a student’s understanding of material, and if the student is more comfortable in a one-on-one atmosphere, and they can prove the efficiency through moderate grades, then where is the debate?

This method of participation can be documented as easily as a homework assignment. Teachers should consider it a fair equivalent; the student either projects their ideas or actively documents their own–this procedure benefits both the extrovert and the introvert.

Participation has its own weighted category and impacts student’s grades as heavily as a quiz. In a classroom setting, independence is no longer valued as participation is, which blatantly gives one group the advantage.

Participation is not necessarily defined by one’s contributions. After all, isn’t a student being an active member of the course so long as they are putting effort towards the lesson and paying attention to the material?

With a change in procedure, all students are given an equal opportunity to excel in classes that require critical thinking.