Free Pathways to Law Offered to San Juan Hills Students

One-of-a-kind program offers clear path for students into field of law.

Abbey Bostic, Staff Writer

Students of SJHHS can now sign up to be a part of the Bus 116 Personal Law / Street Law class held and taught here on campus by Saddleback Instructor Emily S. Quinlan.

For the third straight semester, Stallions can enroll in a Saddleback course.This class is offered for nearly $9,000 at USC but is absolutely tuition free for high school students.

Students would enroll at Saddleback for the Spring semester, attend the class on Thursdays afterschool from 3:15-5:45 pm in Room D13, participate in vigorous and fun classroom discussions on current issues including the law, and start their college careers while still in high school.

No other school in Orange County offers this exclusive pathway into the Law field other than SJHHS.

To enroll In the class register as a Saddleback College student online at Saddleback.edu, complete the K-12 Special Registration Form with signatures from your parent or guardian, your Guidance Counselor, and Principal, Email professor Emily Quinlan, J.D. at Saddleback or contact Brian Willis at SJHHS to receive the add permit code to add the class, and then go to the mysite registration page at Saddleback.edu and register for the class.

SJHHS English teacher Brian Willis encourages students, “Students have many incentives to take this class.They can get easy access to a college class right here on our own campus. They can also get a head start on their college career while saving a bunch of money, which is so critical in these days of students graduating with heavy college debt… For high school students, it is completely free and it transfers for credit to any university you decide to attend. It also looks great on a college application to say that you have already taken a college course (in law nonetheless) and handled it. They love seeing that advantage for prospective incoming freshmen.”

The topics discussed in class include legal problems associated with family relationships , impairment of physical and mental health, property ownership, insurance coverage, contracts, crime, torts, and so much more.

The class begins on February 16, 2017.