Eighteen-Year-Olds Celebrate Newfound Freedoms

Shane Battis, Business Manager

As seniors reach the long envied age of eighteen, several new legal capabilities are made available such as the right to vote, own private property, and marry. Of course, that’s hardly a call for celebration for high schoolers who often turn to benefits like purchasing lottery tickets and cigarettes as well as branding themselves with tattoos and piercings. Biting the once forbidden fruit is an act of liberation for many teens as well as a fresh outlet for expression.

Shannon Dalporto, senior, bought lottery tickets on her eighteenth, as is the norm for most newbie adults, and got an arrow tattoo one month later. However, her tattoo was not a whimsical one as she had planned on imprinting an image that holds symbolic meaning for some time. Dalporto said, “an arrow can only be shot forward. It reminds me to continue to move forward and to not let life drag me back.”

On reaching her legal adult age, Dalporto reflected on how she is now completely accountable for herself. Dalporto says, “It’s scary, but also exciting. I think that’s how growing up is supposed to be.”

Although it is certainly a thrill blooming into a young adult, there is something to be said about the drawback of knowing childhood has officially come to an end. Justin Guarino, senior, immediately took advantage of the opportunity to purchase a pack of cigarettes and a lottery ticket the very morning of his eighteenth in hopes of showing off his upgraded ID. Guarino admitted that he really didn’t want them, but made the trip because he can now and sought a chance to get carded. According to Guarino, the cigarettes were gross and he doesn’t intend to play the lottery again.

Guarino says, “It felt kind of cool at first, but it was a little sad realizing that my ‘childhood’ was over.”

These two seniors are only a few of the many who partake in this common tradition of enjoying their newly granted rights as a self-gifted birthday present. In spite of the initial gratification of proving one’s own maturity and independence, moving on to this new chapter also signifies the closing of another as seniors prepare for life after high school.