ASB Creates New Student Senate To Gather Student Input

Lucy Law

Students chosen by their third period classes gather to discuss the pros and cons of homecoming week.

Lucy Law, Co Editor-In-Chief

ASB has added a new student senate to gather student input at SJHHS.

The student senate is made up of a variety of different students in order to have more students be involved in the decision making for both school and extracurricular activities.

At the beginning of the year all third period classes got to vote on two representatives to represent their class at the monthly meetings. Every month, each representative gets a paper with topics to discuss with their class to come up with ideas to present to ASB.

Some of the decisions include new ideas for spirit days, theme recommendations for dances, and improvements ASB can make in the future.

At the beginning of the year, some in ASB noticed that students were complaining about some changes they wanted to make. But what most students don’t know, is some things have already been implemented and set in stone for a while. This is what inspired the idea of the student senate.

“There are some things that [students] say that we need to change but we can’t change, like when we play music at the football games, we have a certain time that we can play them, or some of the themes [that are recommended], we can’t actually do them,” said Celia Aguilar, ASB commissioner of campus, service, staff, and students.

ASB wanted to give  students a chance to see behind the scenes into what goes into planning for spirit weeks, pep rallies, and school dances.

“For example, homecoming things were already chosen during the summer, so if [students] want to see any new themes then for winter formal or for prom we can change those,” Aguilar said.

ASB’s goal is to reach out to students, change what they can, and get fresh ideas from a diverse group of students.