Write For The Brand: The Express Newspaper

April 15, 2015

NOT+YOUR+AVERAGE+ELECTIVE%3A+Carlos+Pita+%2811%29+and+Gaby+Luna+%2810%29+assist+in+building+a+volcano+for+the+multicultural+fair.+No+two+days+are+the+same+when+you+are+in+Newspaper.+Photo+by+Patrick+Conely+

NOT YOUR AVERAGE ELECTIVE: Carlos Pita (11) and Gaby Luna (10) assist in building a volcano for the multicultural fair. No two days are the same when you are in Newspaper. Photo by Patrick Conely

Established in 2010 as an elective class available to juniors and seniors, students in The Express have established the tradition of creating a student newspaper at SJHHS.

“This class gives students the chance to be involved in the school culture and what happens on campus. It gives students an inside look at what happens at SJHHS,“ said Editor-in-Chief, Macy Drew (12).

Benjamin Hill (12) , Poll Editor and a frequent opinion writer adds that Newspaper “is not an easy A. It is very necessary to create your own work to do, and that requires seeking out stories, getting interviews, and even learning amatuer photography on your own.”

Riley Glenn, Co-Editor of the Sports section, comments that “it is a great class to voice your opinion on a range of issues and topics. I especially like the heated debates that often occur.”

Type of Students:

Mr.Kaiser, the adviser, explains that Newspaper is “looking for students who are self-motivated and able to complete stories and photos for our newspaper on their own without too much nagging from me. It is a student Newspaper, after all.”

WHAT THE COURSE GETS YOU:

Newspaper is a year long course that earns you 5 credits a semester, and can be repeated for up to 40 credits. This class satisfies the Visual/Performing Arts (“F”) requirement after the first year, and falls under the College Preparatory Elective (“G”) requirement for each additional year.

Course Description:

In this class you will assist in publishing The Express newspaper, and learn the fundamentals of news, feature, sports, and editorial writing as well as photojournalism. Learning how to work together in groups, students will meet deadlines, and understand First Amendment issues and ethics to produce a real, student-led newspaper for school-wide and World Wide Web distribution. Students will use computer software applications, such as photoshop and Adobe InDesign for publication as well as web-based technologies used in the writing, editing and publishing process.

The Express is currently in the process of moving towards a more web-focused publication on the Express’ website.

The Express strives to include a variety of student views in its opinion pages, considered by many to be the heart of a newspaper.