Rachel Thompson Sings Her Way to the Top

Rachel+Thompson+performs+an+opera+piece%2C+Voi+Che+Sapete+at+SJHHSs+choir+concert+October+19.+

photo courtesy of Steve Wylie

Rachel Thompson performs an opera piece, “Voi Che Sapete” at SJHHS’s choir concert October 19.

McKenzie M, A&E Editor

Two years ago during choir rehearsal, the teacher asked then freshman Rachel Thompson to try out a piece of opera music. Boom. Done. Next.

Now as a junior, Thompson is taking her aptitude as well as her passion for singing to the next level at concerts and competitions sharing opera music with the audience.

Thompson has been apart of SJHHS’ choir program since the beginning of her high school career, but as of now, is the only opera singer at the school. She credits much of her education to the director of the Choral/Vocal Arts Department, Michael Ushino. “He probably believes in me more than I believe in myself,” said Thompson, “he is such a great mentor to me and I appreciate him a lot.”

Having such a valuable relationship with her teacher, Thompson admits she has even accidentally called him “mom” under multiple occasions.

This year, Thompson is a part of the Chamber Choir which is the most advanced level.  She claims that the group is really close. “They are the most dependable people I have in my life, my family by choice,” said Thompson.

I love opera, when I am singing and on stage, all of my inhibitions are unleashed

— Rachel Thompson

Thompson dreams of making her opera singing into a career some day. “I love opera, when I am singing and on stage, all of my inhibitions are unleashed,” said Thompson.

However, after high school, Thompson dreams of working at an orphanage in Johannesburg, Africa called Anchors of Love. She currently volunteers for them and has decided to dedicate her life to their cause. “I figure when children get adopted to English-speaking families, someone will need to teach them English,” said Thompson.

She is intrigued by different languages– she plans to  learn African in Johannesburg, which would apply to her other language studies as opera is hardly ever in English.  “Who knows…maybe I’ll write the first Opera in African.”

Johannesburg also seems like the perfect place for her as music is a big part of their community.  “It’s really hard for an American to get into a music program there just because their music system is different there with different music theories and they have levels that we don’t have in the US,” said Thompson.  

Despite this, Thompson aspires to study music there to further her opera skills.

In the meantime, Thompson is performing at school concerts and competing at singing competitions. Her latest and favorite opera competition was at CSUF and was a week long process.  

To enter, Mr. Ushino sent a video of Thompson and she made it to the next level and was included in the final 6 competitors. “ I got to have a masterclass with Professor Leyrer and Dr. Goodrick at Cal State Fullerton and it was later announced that I had won!” said Thompson.

From winning the competition, she was privileged to perform a solo piece in the Meng Concert Hall at CSUF, which she claims was a magical experience. 

Thompson says she admires opera star Cecilia Bartoli, as do many young opera singers. “She might not be 100% correct with interpretations or pronunciation, but she is always true to her music,” said Thompson.  

However, she looks up to one of her best friends, Jasmine Powell, SJHHS Alumna who now studies music at Cal State Fullerton, the most. “I don’t know where I would be without her,” said Thompson, “She always helps me with everything and was such an inspiration while I was first starting opera.”

Although balancing school, opera, and life can sometimes be difficult, Thompson continues to succeed and is grateful for everyone that has helped her along her journey.