• History Teacher Bill Kaiser Wins Teacher of the Year

• Football Player Sean Rhyan Commits to UCLA

• Finals Week 12/18-12/20

• Link Crew Hosting Holiday Potluck for Freshman 12/13

• CSF Collecting Unwrapped Toys for Toys for Tots

• 2nd Annual SJHHS Kindess Week Nov. 13-16

Alec Tighe’s “Alectober” Has Dropped

Alec Tighe’s “Alectober” Has Dropped

Alec Tighe (12) showers in dollar bills after releasing his first debut album, “Alectober,” on Soundcloud, October 25.

Claire Cone

Claire Cone

Claire Cone

Katie Brubaker, Staff Writer

With an onslaught of SoundCloud rappers trying to gain footing in the music industry, Alec Tighe’s new album Alectober stands out. The collaboration between himself and other high school students in making his album is not only refreshing, but extremely fun.

Tighe is a senior at SJHHS that originally thought about making an album earlier in his high school career.

“I was chillin’ sophomore year and I told everyone that I was going to make an album, but I never did and everyone was disappointed. Then, junior year I tried to make it except I was going through puberty, so my voice was spotty in parts. However, this year I got all the homies together and we just really created a masterpiece,” said Tighe.

Tighe released seven songs for Alectober, and dropped Death Star Dead Boi twenty days before Alectober to generate “hype” for the album. The album’s title is not only clever, but has significance to Tighe.

“My birthday is October 25th, so that’s why it’s called Alectober. I actually dropped the album on my birthday,” said Tighe.

Before getting started on the album, Tighe took time to cultivate his writing skills. “I started reading a lot and messing around with new verses. I had Death Star Dead Boi done in August, and all the other songs were finished in late September and October. We were literally working until the very last day before it dropped,” said Tighe.

Tighe’s first songs were recorded in rather unconventional settings. However, he was still able to make his music.

“I worked half the summer at Taco Bell, and I mostly recorded at work with my phone. I later recorded Death Star Dead Boi on my phone on the way to a fourth of July party. I feel like that was okay for that point in my life, but now I have a home studio to work in,” said Tighe.

The single Death Star Dead Boi and the Alectober album were not create by Tighe alone. Tighe gathered artists from around SJHHS to collaborate and produce music.

I worked half the summer at Taco Bell, and I mostly recorded at work with my phone. I later recorded Death Star Dead Boi on my phone on the way to a fourth of July party. I feel like that was okay for that point in my life, but now I have a home studio to work in”

— Tighe

Not only did Tighe enlist the help of his classmates, but he even worked with a teacher.

“Mr. Lynde did some add-libs on Alectober. Add-libs are when they don’t do a full verse, but they come through with snippets,” said Tighe.

When it comes to a favorite song from his album, Tighe can’t choose one.

“I like all the songs for different reasons; I like the intro because it feels like all the homies were on one song working together. I love Beats for Alec also because that’s what I would listen to more, and it’s just me and Kylie Rucker, and the Ben Chung made the beat and rapped on it. Also, I really like Woadies because all of us are on it. It’s like me, Drew Cost, Dylan French, and Nate Giraud. We all did it together, and we built on the chemistry we have with one another, and that’s why the song is so good,” said Tighe.

As of now, Alectober is on SoundCloud and has just hit 8,888 plays. Already, through ad revenue and streams, Tighe has made around 450 dollars. Tighe recently purchased a bar code, so Alectober is now on Spotify and Apple Music.

Tighe is by no means done with making music; he plans on having another album released this year.

“I’m trying to drop my next project, Alectricity, by December 21. I want to work with some of the same homies again, but I’d like to link up with new artists for this new album also,” said Tighe.

I’m trying to drop my next project, Alectricity, by sometime in November. I want to work with some of the same homies again, but I’d like to link up with new artists for this new album also”

— Tighe

As for what his next album will be like, Tighe reveals only the overall tone he would like it to have: “I want my raps to start have more emotion. As of now, it’s just me and my homies in the studio having fun. I want to take it to more of the depressing side. Alectricity will much darker and have a lot more solo stuff,” said Tighe.

As for a future as a professional rapper, Tighe is uncertain, but he is enjoying the experience of making music so far.

“I never thought of myself as wanting to be a rapper, I just really like having money all the time. I’m making mad money, so that means that the homies are gonna start making money. I’ve even been offered to do shows by Chain Reaction, but it wouldn’t be like an Alec Boi show, it’d be a show with like six other artists from Orange County and we’d rap,” said Tighe.

For the help received in making his first album, Tighe explains that he really “just wants to shout out all the homies that helped out as well as Mr. Lynde.”

“I don’t want this to be the end and I really want to keep making stuff. So, if anyone wants to do a soundbite or anything, direct message me on Instagram @alec.tighe so we can talk,” said Tighe.

Katie Brubaker, Managing Editor

Katie Brubaker is a senior at SJHHS and this is her third year on The Express newspaper staff. In the previous years, Katie held the positions of Arts...