• Senior Class Wins "Three-Peat" and Claims Clash of the Classes Victory

• Last Day for Physical Testing Wednesday April 2nd

• Seniors Win Canned Food Drive Competition

• Spring Musical Openings April 24 With 4:00pm Matinee

New Orca Bill: A Splash In the Right Direction

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
March 28, 2014
Filed under Opinion

New legislation submitted to the California legislature will ban using captive Orcas for performance or entertainment purposes. But will it do any good? The law was introduced by Assembly member Richard Bloom, a democrat from Santa Monica. The bill will forbid the practice of holding... Read More »

Nation Wide Minimum Wage Increase Will Benefit Those In Need

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
March 7, 2014
Filed under Opinion

Raising the Federal minimum wage continues to be a strong controversy among American Politicians. Currently starting at $7.25 an hour, some states are taking the initiative in raising the minimum wage to the suggested $10.10 an hour. The problem with the current Federal minimum wage... Read More »

How To Succeed in Building a Play by Really Trying

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
January 31, 2014
Filed under A&E, Top Stories

As the spring musical “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” approaches, various groups within the arts department at SJHHS are busy working to make this production come alive. Before the actors take the stage, the set must be built. This is where Stagecraft, a class... Read More »

Eagle Scout ‘Brands’ School

Eagle Scout ‘Brands’ School

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
January 17, 2014
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

When Nicholas Welter (11) set his sights on becoming an Eagle Scout, he needed to find a project that helped the community. One of his ideas was to come up with a plan to give San Juan Hills something it’s been lacking since... Read More »

Anthony Vazquez Wins Hypnotist Show Tickets!

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
December 1, 2013
Filed under A&E, Top Stories

Congratulations to Anthony Vazquez for correctly naming some things Han shot at that did NOT shoot at him first! Enjoy the show. Original question: You might know that Han shot first in the original Cantina Bar scene in Star Wars Episode IV, a New Hope. But do you know some other things Han shot first? Post... Read More »

“Surfing Strange” Album Review

“Surfing Strange”  Album Review

Griffin Orlich , A&E Editor
November 22, 2013
Filed under A&E

Swearin’ is a new indie rock band from Philadelphia formed in 2011 that fans of Cloud Nothings, Yuck, and Girls will enjoy. The band is fronted by former P.S Eliot member Allison Crutchfield, who plays lead guitar and sings, and Kyle Gilbride who shares both guitar and vocal duties.... Read More »

Silence Your Cell Phones, It’s Time for Film Studies

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
October 18, 2013
Filed under A&E, Top Stories

It is fourth period and it’s time to watch another movie. It’s not a substitute teacher who doesn’t have a good lesson plan, but rather a class called Film Studies. The students roll in chairs from one room to the next where a screen shows the menu for the movie Moulin... Read More »

Show Me the Money! Where Do Retired Club Funds Go?

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
September 27, 2013
Filed under Clubs, Top Stories

Leo Moneymaker, president of Doodle Club, accumulated $127 dollars last year for his club. But this year he decided not to renew the club. He made his decision due to lack of participation from members, although he still plans to create cartoons for newspaper. His situation... Read More »

SJHHS ranks in top 500 schools

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
May 28, 2013
Filed under News

Newsweek/The Daily Beast ranks SJHHS number 500 in this year’s roundup of top schools. SJHHS jumped from 900 to 500 out of 2,000 different schools, beating out Aliso Niguel High School and San Clemente High School. The ranking system was based on a study... Read More »

Artist to Know-Wavves

Artist to Know-Wavves

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
May 1, 2013
Filed under A&E

Wavves, a surf punk from San Diego, was started when lead singer and guitarist Nathan Williams dropped out of college, quit his job and moved back in with his parents. Looking for something to do to escape his extreme boredom, he began to record songs in his parents garage using the... Read More »

RedBox VS. Netflix

RedBox VS. Netflix

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
May 1, 2013
Filed under A&E

Times really are changing. 10 years ago the quickest way to rent/buy a movie was to go to stores such as Blockbuster. But now, there are no Blockbusters in sight. Instead,  there are mail/instant services, such as Netflix, and kiosk services like RedBox are available. But... Read More »

Workaholics Review

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
May 1, 2013
Filed under A&E

I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, and The Office. These shows are considered by most to be among the greatest sitcoms of all time. And now a new classic has emerged. The show is called Workaholics and is shown on Comedy Central. The show is about three college dropouts/slacker... Read More »

Getting Technical

Griffin Orlich, A&E Editor
March 27, 2013
Filed under Feature

Stagecraft  is a great way for students who are interested in working “behind the scenes” to become part of the drama program. Stagecraft I and II are both classes offered at SJHHS that allow students to design and build stages for school plays. The two levels... Read More »

Tyler, The Creator Takes Santa Ana by Storm

Jessica Skolnik and Griffin Orlich
March 27, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Tyler, the Creator (Tyler Gregory Okonma) is a 21 year old rapper from Los Angeles. He is the leader and also co-founder of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All. Odd Future, or OFWGKTA, is the collaboration of LA rappers Hodgy Beats, Earl Sweatshirt, Domo Genesis, Mike G, and Tyler, The Creator. His... Read More »