Boys Lacrosse Checks Into Another Season

Jade Fischbeck gets aggressive against Vista Murrieta High School, eventually pushing the Bronco to the ground without getting called for a foul.

Gavin Aitken, Staff Writer

After a season last year focused on developing a young team into a well-oiled unit, an improved boys lacrosse team hopes to take the next step in their quest for a league title.

The expectations are high among the team, and attacker Preston Seemann summed it up when he said, “Our goal for the season is to come first in league.”

Although the team lost their first game to Vista Murrieta 13-7, it was still an encouraging performance against a tough team that beat a talented Tesoro team last season.

However, the Stallions are playing in an extremely tough Sea View League that hold two top 100 teams as well as four top 200 teams in the state (according to MaxPreps).

[The new coaches] have definitely done a lot more in the offseason. They’ve pushed us to work a lot harder.

— Chase DeLaurie

This year, the Stallions added two new coaches into the fold, Coach Bryan and Coach Carlisle. Coach Bryan is a defensive specialist who was brought in to improve a team that gave up over fifteen goals per game last season.

His instructions have already taken effect, as “the defense has stepped it up a lot” since his tenure, according to Seemann.

Team captain Chase DeLaurie added, “[The new coaches] have definitely done a lot more in the offseason. They’ve pushed us to work a lot harder.”

There are plenty of returners to this varsity team, and Seemann believes that one of the team’s greatest strengths is their chemistry. “We’ve become closer as a team,” said Seemann.

The Stallions offense will be powered by last year’s three top goalscorers, who all return as seniors this season. Cruz Santana, Matthew Salmon, and Spencer Cendejas combined for 36 goals last season, and more is expected of them after a grueling offseason.

Key games for the Stallions this year include a home game against perennial rivals Capistrano Valley on April 21 and the first league game against Mission Viejo on March 21.

One of the intriguing subplots entering the season is the introduction of Jarett Rabago. Last year, Rabago was unable to play for the lacrosse team due to an accumulation of concussions. However,  his doctors have medically cleared him to compete, which allowed him to return to the fold this season. Rabago is an incredibly talented individual who will undoubtedly add to the program as long as he remains healthy.

The lacrosse program has improved tremendously since the current crop of varsity players were freshman. The program has grown to the second largest sport at San Juan Hills, and this season they have added a second JV team for the first time in the program’s history

“The team has definitely grown exponentially,” said Joshua Apt.