DoorDash Dilemma

Alexis Bennett, Staff Writer

Since the start of the food-delivery company DoorDash, ordering through their app has become popular amongst students at SJHHS. From Starbucks to Thai food, DoorDash picks up and delivers custom orders to your exact location.

Many students use DoorDash for regular deliveries throughout the day, just as if a parent was dropping off food. However, in the eyes of administration, DoorDash may be causing some minor issues in terms of classroom disturbance and safety interests.

Recently, Assistant Principal Darrin Jindra contacted DoorDash services requesting a halt to deliveries on campus, but the company simply responded that it is the school’s job to prevent students from ordering. Ultimately, DoorDash refused to stop school deliveries.

Even some frustrated DoorDash drivers spoke to Jindra, asking to file a complaint with the company due to the difficulty of delivering to students during school hours.

For Jindra, the biggest issue is classroom disturbance, and the ethics of leaving class. He explained, “In this case, the student has to lie to the teacher, asking to go to the restroom, but in reality goes out to pick up their DoorDash order.”

While DoorDash drivers must have no criminal record to get hired, there is always the possibility of a dangerous visitor on campus, especially if they do not check in at administration.

Although some teachers are indifferent towards students leaving class to pick up orders, it has potential to cause difficulties with administration, taking into consideration that SJHHS is a closed campus.

Because of this closed campus policy, all visitors are technically required to check in at the office upon arrival. Many DoorDash drivers never have to leave their cars if the customer is waiting to pick up their order, but others take the order to the office, which may raise safety concerns.

“We worry that any stranger could come on campus and act as a DoorDash delivery person,” said Jindra, “so yes, it really is a possible safety issue.”

Overall, there is no “imminent threat” from DoorDash deliveries. Administration does not wish to restrict students from ordering meals, but classroom disturbance is still frowned upon, and keeping students safe will always be a priority of our campus leaders.