Winning A Career

Courtesy of Ann Bergen.

Josh Armstrong, Staff Writer

On May 5th, a select few students were nominated by their teachers for their ROP classes throughout the course of the year. The Student Recognition night awarded 16 San Juan Hills students out of 60 throughout the district, the most out of any school, and is “very great for us and pretty typical of what we’ve had in the last several years” according to Ann Bergen, the ROP Guidance Specialist for San Juan Hills.

Of all the students, who are all winners of awards, there are an additional ten awards that go out that have scholarship money attached. San Juan Hills had two students out of our 16 that won these awards. These two students are Meggan Spellman (12) for Business and Marketing Career Pathway and Matthew Buscemi (12) for ICT Information Technology.

ROP, or Regional Occupational Program, allows for technical job training for kids, mostly juniors and seniors, in high school and in some cases adults. This program lets kids who are interested in a certain field find the right job for them or in some cases find new interests that they want to pursue.

Students involved in ROP classes usually end up finding a job similar to the ROP class they took. Spellman says, “I really found a passion for fashion and am really dedicated to fashion and want to make a career out of it.” As many have seen in the library, Meggan has displayed some of her fashion talent by displaying a dress she handmade that has been used for fashion shows.

For students curious about their future and career, ROP classes are the way to go. Advice that students want to give incoming kids into ROP is finding a solid passion in a career and finding an ROP class that will teach you how to pursue it. Students in ROP classes and Mrs. Bergen would be more than happy to help and get the future you want.