Drama Elevates its Quality of Productions and Stagecraft

Amanda Rooker, Staff Writer

Students in the drama program are currently working  to create new productions, Exit the Body and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Rather than just putting on a show, these performances give the students an opportunity to grow and interact as a community.

Exit the Body is a farce, a heightened comedy. “It’s a story about an author from New York city who comes to a small town for a vacation with her secretary,” explains Ms. Beilstein, the theatre arts teacher and director of this play.  

The students will work through a seven-week rehearsal process culminating to the final production that opens on November 4th and closes on November 7th.  

The cast and crew doesn’t only include students in theatre arts classes. Students who are new to theatre are also included.

“I decided to audition because I was searching for a new friend group and a new positive community. I found it here,” said Braeden Schmitt (11).

In addition to Exit the Body, the performing arts department is also producing a winter musical, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, that will be open to the public from February 3rd-6th.

This musical is about a small county town’s yearly spelling bee and it follows the twelve finalists who are basically the misfits of the community.

“With spelling bee I am most excited to see how the actors can connect with their characters journeys through song; that is one of the most difficult things–to act while singing” says Beilstein, the director of the show.  

Different than a play, a musical provides an opportunity for all of the performing arts departments to come together.

“The performing arts team collaborates to find a production that works well for all the students in every aspect of the arts within choir and drama and orchestra and band,” said Mr. McElroy, the music director and conductor.

Mr. Ushino, the choir teacher and vocal instructor, commented, “The way that we interact—it is truly a collaborative effort.”

Having two shows creates an opportunity for students of all experience and grade levels to get involved.

One thing that is easy to see within the cast and crew is the positive atmosphere of support and encouragement.

Rachel Sandefur (12), who plays Crane Hammond, the mystery writer and central character in Exit the Body explained, “We are all spending a lot of time with each other offstage and onstage during this show, which helps form those tight bonds that every actor hopes they have with their cast.”

“Theatre is a passion of mine where I found my own niche environment and a family that I can connect with,” Hailey Depoto said (11). Depoto is playing Logainne Shwartzy in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.